Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steer Clear Of These Toxic Dog Treats

Default Steer Clear Of These Toxic Dog Treats

• Jordyn Cormier
    • March 26 2016

It is well known that many dog foods contain cheap fillers like corn, wheat, soy and meat products of mysterious origin, but dog treats are often falsely viewed as innocuous goodies. However, the treats you are feeding your pup may be just as tainted, if not more so. Not only do commercial dog treats contain high amounts of sugar, but they are ripe with preservatives, allergens, artificial colors, carcinogenic additives and more. Here are 4 commercial brands to avoid giving to your pup.

Default Re: Steer Clear Of These Toxic Dog Treats

I sometimes take my son's dog a treat when I visit. I buy dried pig's ears, so not sure about ' don’t feed your pup anything you wouldn’t eat yourself.'

Veteran Member

We have run a pet food store for the last 4 years and have learned a lot from other people even after we had dogs our whole life (well not yet but we're getting there.).

The number one thing I would say is that homemade is just about always better than store bought, yes even at the risk it may mean recommending that you don't buy anything from me. Not entirely true, but some rule of thumbs always apply.

Marrow bones are overall about the best dog treat there is, just please do NOT buy the supermarket stuff that is from CAFOs and full of antibiotics and growth hormones. Watch out for rawhide, because it's not digestible so if they swallow it you both pay. Pig ears and cow ears are ok they dissolve as they get wet, bully sticks too.

Always check the ingredient list: if corn or soy show up as one of the top 5 ingredients drop it like a hot chocolate. Well you know what I mean. Same for anything made in China, but keep in mind there's also lots of corruption and profit mongering in the good old USA too.

Always feed your animal well, you know what they say you can pay us now or pay your vet later. Watch out for cars and people that don't know how to drive them they're not well marked so your sharp observance skills may be required.

About "about ' don’t feed your pup anything you wouldn’t eat yourself.'" Somehow I just cannot for the life of me imagine chewing on some rolled up old sweaty socks, sorry. Even newspapers have a bitter taste to them these days.

Oh and Julianne our new toy this year is a food dehydrator and it's a pleasant valuable addiction, concentrated flavors. Go ask Alice.

"Ora", I always try to share my meat with my (spayed) Wirehaired (brillopad) Griffon Pointer, Maggie, where ever possible. Sometimes I'll pressure cook chicken gizzards for the both of us. This morning, I made lamb 'n eggs, and Maggie enjoyed part of that, and then licked the cast iron skillet clean. She runs free around the property and if quick enough, will devour a cotton tail rabbit. Just the other day she killed a jack rabbit, but so far only ate the head, and didn't get around to eating the rest, and I finally had to get rid of the it as it was starting to stink. But Maggie does get plenty paleo, one way or the other. And she'll be getting sheared like a sheep for the summer (just lightly trimming the head though) at the end of May, at which time her body will resemble a small black lab. And I might add that Maggie gets along very well with the 3 cats we have here. http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/wireha...inting-griffon

When I first met my Irish husband, proprietary brand dog food was unknown in Ireland. Dogs were fed table scraps. Given the price of lamb here (even when we raised our own sheep), that's not something I could afford to feed a pet! I do ut a side in my freezer every fall and request organ meats when I can get them. I especially like lamb liver!

Some of you know that I feed my cats a combination of canned wet food and raw ground organ meats (heart, liver, kidneys, tongue etc.) from a local slaughterhouse, with kibble free-choice. What goes into the butcher's hopper is not organic, but I still think it's a better option than commercial canned food (which isn't organic either, of course).
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

"Islander"; "Given the price of lamb here (even when we raised our own sheep), that's not something I could afford to feed a pet!"

Maggie only gets the end trimmings, not a full course lamb dinner. I watch for the close-out sale for Superior Brand, hermetically sealed lamb steaks at the supermarket, and stock up in the freezer. One small steak gets cooked in the skillet, and then divided 3-4 ways breakfast sausage/bacon size, for a few subsequent breakfasts, and not the whole lamb steak in one meal. And there is still always a nice morsel for Maggie.

Veteran Member

Oh I see, a rug that's shaped like a dog.

First Irish husband, how may have you had? I usually introduce my best friend as "my first wife."

And I agree, there's no such thing as dog food it all is. End trimmings, dinner is always lurking. Never overdo it or else try. We could probably survive out of our freezer for a year or more and then there's gazillions of deer, squirrels, and small game birds. I grew up with a sling shot in my pocket just like Huck Finn/ We know how to hope you do.

Veteran Member

Grulla, I'm jealous of your animals but ours are very happy too so we all are. Full lamb dinner means lots of fur no? and claws and ears. Not sure we have that Superior Brand in the US but it's probably just another corporate figment.

I have seen Australian lamb featured in U.S. recipes. Seriously, they specify Australian! No offense, Julieanne, but we grow some fine fat lambs here...on grass!

Quote Originally Posted by Ora Moose View Post
    First Irish husband, how may have you had?
    I think you read my post wrong, Ora. Only two. The first one was a terrible mistake, a sociopath, but the second (who is late) was a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    No offense, Julieanne, but we grow some fine fat lambs here...on grass!
    No offense taken, I'm sure you do. I've seen a few folks on Mercola say they eat Oz and New Zealand lamb. Surely all sheep are raised on grass? I've yet to hear of CAFO lamb!

"Ora" et al; "Not sure we have that Superior Brand in the US but it's probably just another corporate figment."

This Superior Brand, hermetically sealed lamb steak and chops is marketed in the Wally meat dept. Since lamb is not as big a mover as pork, beef, and chicken, and since Wally doesn't do any butchering and packaging on the premises (like Albertson's [aka Acme in the East] does), I suspect those are the two reasons for the pre-hermetically sealed lamb steaks. I personally prefer slow roasting (ala Adele Davis) over steaks, but since I like lamb so much, I take advantage of the Wally opportunity. And unfortunately, I can't find the nice large (unnetted) symmetrically shaped leg-of-lamb cuts out here in NM, that I used to find back in PA & NJ years ago. And BTW as I recall, some of those nice cuts back east were prepackaged and frozen from NZ, which I used to find just north of PA, at Schuster's Market east of Binghampton, NY. They were GREAT!

http://superiorfarms.com/
    Last edited by grulla; 03-29-16 at 01:13 PM. Reason: found link

Since we have moved on to discussing lamb, if I ever see (rarely) lamb legs at a reasonable cost, I cut one up into lamb steaks. Lasts much longer that way, and about half the price of buying prepared lamb steaks. A rare luxury!

When it comes to pet treats, it's all together different with my 17 Y.O. indoor/outdoor Siamese cat, Willa (Weeeeah :-) ). There has always been reasonably good quality kibbles for her on the bathroom counter window ledge where Maggie can't steal it. Since at least 4 years ago, I have added a 1/2 tspn of Norwegian Cod Liver oil to her kibbles. I scoop a small Campbell soup can's amount into a well cleaned, oversized stainless steal dog dish, and add the 1/2 tspn of C.L.O., and shake it in thoroughly (like gold panning), and that lasts only about 3-4 days at the most, to avoid any rancidity. And the jar of Norwegian C.L.O. is kept in the fridge, of course. Since having started enhancing Willa's catfood with the C.L.O., she has become very healthy, energetic, and "hell on wheels".

Julieanne, when I get a side of lamb, I have the leg halved. Those succulent roasts are for when I have guests — usually saved for visits from family members. (I raised sheep for 25 years so all my kids grew up with lamb). That still leaves plenty of shoulder chops, loin chops, and the trimmings that go into ground lamb. Mmmm, lamb....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information