Thread: The Starch that Makes You Lean and Healthy

Default The Starch that Makes You Lean and Healthy

Mark Hyman, MD
    March 25, 2016

“Dr. Hyman, I took a quick glance at your Eat Fat, Get Thin plan and saw that you recommend potato starch as part of the diet,” writes this week’s house call. “I thought we were supposed to avoid carbs?“
    I can understand the confusion surrounding why I would recommend potato starch, considering I’ve discussed how detrimental refined carbs (especially white, powdery substances) can be.
    Here’s the deal. A special type of starch called resistant starch provides unique and remarkable properties, improving your metabolism and blood sugar while optimizing your gut flora to promote weight loss.
    Resistant starch is a kind of starch that is not digested in the small intestine, hence its name. Instead, your gut bacteria processes it, creating beneficial molecules that promote balanced blood sugar and healthy gut flora. In other words, when you eat resistant starch, it “resists” digestion and does not spike blood sugar or insulin.
    Resistant starch is made by cooking and then cooling starches like potatoes or rice and not reheating them, [bolding mine] transforming regular starch into resistant starch.

Read more: http://drhyman.com/blog/2016/03/24/t...omment-1270523
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: The Starch that Makes You Lean and Healthy

From everything I have read to date, resistant starch holds its characteristics even after being cooled and re-heated. In a comment following the article above, I said so and asked Dr. Hyman for clarification. When I went back to look for a reply I saw that my comment had been deleted, yet two more comments appeared. The only conclusion I can draw is that I was right, and Dr. Hyman was unwilling to acknowledge his error. Thoughts?

After reading a recent post on Mercola by, I believe it was you, I researched and studied the chilling of the resistant starch. You may be interested to know that when researching this subject, the word "amylose" is associated with resistant starch;

"Amylose is a straight chain, which limits the amount of surface area exposed for digestion. This predominates in RS. Foods high in amylose are digested more slowly. They’re less likely to spike blood glucose or insulin."

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/al...sistant-starch

Thanks, Grulla, good thorough article. Yes, I knew most of that but there was helpful information that was new to me as well. My question still hasn't been answered, though.

As a type two diabetic, most of the items on that list are off-limits to me. The only two I can indulge in, on occasion, are the potatoes and white rice, which he doesn't mention there. I also have brown and black rice in the house but rarely prepare them because of the long cooking time.

I'd happily give up every grain forever if I could have organic red potatoes -- especially right out of the ground. OMG. Well, I eat them even though the carb police say not to. La la la la not listening.

Potato salad for everybody! Really though, Precision Nutrition as mentioned by grulla is an excellent source for all sorts of bodily information.

Thread Information