Thread: Brazilian Zika doctors find severe brain damage in babies: study

Default Brazilian Zika doctors find severe brain damage in babies: study

Kate Kelland
    Wed Apr 13, 2016

Brazilian scientists studying possible links between birth defects and the mosquito-borne Zika virus have found that babies born with microcephaly have severe brain damage with a range of abnormalities.
    In a study published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ), the researchers said their findings could not prove Zika causes microcephaly, but did confirm a link and pointed to potentially severe consequences for babies of mothers who become infected with the virus while pregnant.
    Microcephaly is a rare birth defect where a child is born with an abnormally small head. Since 2015, Brazil has reported thousands of suspected cases of the condition and linked them to a large and spreading outbreak of Zika virus infection.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-he...ealth%20Report
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Brazilian Zika doctors find severe brain damage in babies: study

Call me a cynic and you wouldn't be far off, but anytime "scientists" set out to "find a link" there's a very good chance of a false positive because after all their lively hood depends on having problem, not no problem. Hope that makes sense. And btw there is no Z in Brasil or Argentina for that matter. But there's always Venezuela.

Then again, you can't just discount all things absurd these days. Can you?

There is a Z in Brazil unless you are a Brasilian, I think.
    And yes, there will always be Venezuela.

But you're right, Ora. Often when you set out with the expectation of finding something, voila! There it is! — Especially when your salary depends on your finding it...

I'm getting more confused with every article I read! Has there been any suggestion that the Zika virus has mutated? If not, why now?

Have a detailed comment to make, but gotta split some wood & plant some seeds while I still have sunlight. Back in a bit.

So, a day or two ago Mike Adams published this story: http://www.naturalnews.com/053677_Zi...nce_fraud.html

No, no surprises. Once again, Mike Adams sensationalizes (look at his lede), puts his conspiratorial spin on the story, and cites not a single valid source for his claims. This is manipulation and fear-mongering at its best.
    To be honest, I don't disagree with him. I find a pesticide cause, along with many of the co-factors he names, to be the most likely agent for damaged and deformed brains. We reported that suspected link here (http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...ad.php?t=16978). Because of his tone and his spin, however, I could not in good conscience reprint this story anywhere without risking my reputation as a science-based researcher. This man tarnishes the word "journalist."

Now, if he wanted credibility, there are in fact valid sources he could have cited. Here's one:
    REPORT from Physicians in the Crop-Sprayed Town regarding Dengue-Zika, microcephaly, and massive spraying with chemical poisons

9 febrero, 2016 | Artículos destacados, Determinantes sociales de la salud
    Main points:
    1-Dengue epidemic in Brazil persists endemically (on an ongoing basis) due to the marginalisation and misery of millions of people, especially in Northeast Brazil. On top of that, Zika virus, a similar disease although more benign, is now spreading.
    2. A dramatic increase of congenital malformations, especially microcephaly in newborns, was detected and quickly linked to the Zika virus by the Brazilian Ministry of Health. However, they fail to recognise that in the area where most sick persons live, a chemical larvicide producing malformations in mosquitoes has been applied for 18 months, and that this poison (pyroproxyfen) is applied by the State on drinking water used by the affected population. Sigue leyendo →

(keep reading in Engish: click the "sigue leyendo" link)

And a related story:
    Monsanto sends threats and accusations to the Network of Physicians in the Crop-Sprayed Villages

16 marzo, 2016 | Artículos destacados, Declaraciones
    Monsanto denies links with Sumitomo and the pyriproxifen used in Brazil

MONSANTO, the agrochemical multinational, is accusing the Network of Physicians in the Crop-Sprayed Villages of lying, and is requesting that the connection between MONSANTO and the Japanese company Sumitomo Chemical is denied within 24 hours. Sumimoto is a company that markets Sumilarv, a pyriproxyfen-based larvicide that was added to drinking water used by people in the poorest villages and neighbourhoods in Northeastern Brazil, raising suspicions that this poison might be linked to the microcephaly cases and neurological congenital malformations present in that region. Sigue leyendo →

Again, click the link to read the full story.
    _____

BTW, today's lead story: "California headed for mandatory organ harvesting and euthanasia of its citizens"
    I think the guy has finally gone off the deep end.
    Last edited by Islander; 04-17-16 at 11:10 AM.

"I think the guy has finally gone off the deep end". I couldn't agree more! I only saw this about 1/2 hour go, and wondered how much more hysterical he could get. He has no right to call himself a journalist.

http://www.naturalnews.com/053676_Fi..._protests.html

For what it's worth, here is the local report: Many cases of Zika so far in Saint Croix, evidently a much milder illness than Dengue fever, although still unpleasant. Mothers who have suffered from Zika have given birth to normal babies. Our group of people is a small sample, to be sure, but this small group gives no evidence for hysteria.

Let me guess: St. Croix puts no insecticide in their drinking water?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Let me guess: St. Croix puts no insecticide in their drinking water?
    Ding ding ding! You would be correct!

Thread Information