Hard to know whether to post this under emotional health or osteoporosis, where I finally decided to locate it.

Frank Shallenberger, MD
May 13, 2016

I’ve talked a lot about antidepressants in the past. While I don’t think they’re always a bad option, I do think they’re prescribed far too frequently. I also think they’re prescribed for far too long. In fact, this is something that the FDA and I agree on.
Did you know that most antidepressants have FDA approval for only three months of use?
Yet doctors often prescribe them indefinitely. Many of them do this because they don’t know what else to do to treat depression. And they do it because they don’t realize the detrimental side effects some of these medications can have.
The majority of patients on antidepressants take a category of drug called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). These drugs affect the serotonin system and can help regulate mood. But that’s not the only system they affect. According to research published in the journal Bone, SSRIs also affect your bone mineral density.

Read more: http://www.secondopinionnewsletter.c...in-common-.htm