Thread: Rattlesnake Vaccine For Dogs

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Default Rattlesnake Vaccine For Dogs

We live in a valley in the California mountains that ranges from 6,500 Ft above sea level to 7,500, and the mountains around us are higher. We have lived here 9-1/2 years and only once come across a rattlesnake in a wilderness area. In general, our climate has been cool enough that snakes are not as common as they are at lower elevations. But with the increased temperatures of the past couple of years, they are being reported in areas that previously were not often seen.

With the reports of the rattlers here, dog owners are strongly encouraged to get the rattlesnake vaccine for their pets. Evidently this has been out for about 5 years, but we are new dog owners, having acquired our puppy, Pepper, just after Christmas. I've been very "natural" with her, limiting vaccines, choosing diatomaceous earth for worming rather than a chemical worming, delaying spaying, being very choosy about the food i feed her, and other things. And she is VERY healthy. So the rattlesnake vaccine was not something i am likely to do. I didn't give it much thought, but i did wonder how they could create a "vaccine" for a venom.

Today i had Pepper at the dog park with a group of people who use the same trainer. I was discussing the recent rattlesnake aversion training they had here (which i missed; i hope they have it again) with some people who have a 5 month old Boxer puppy. They mentioned that they had had their puppy have two of the rattlesnake vaccines, and that she's due for two more, and then a yearly booster. They also mentioned that their previous dog had had the series. And that their dog had recently died of cancer at age 5. I immediately wondered if there was a connection, but it didn't seem to be the thing to bring up at the time, especially as i had done no research on the vaccine.

So i came home and researched it. This was a very telling (if not particularly surprising) article i found. I just hope that no one assumes that the rattlesnake vaccine means their pet is safe and won't need Vet treatment in the advent of a bite.

Rattlesnake Vaccine For My Dogs? No Thanks!
    Carole Milligan
    April 2015

A recent post on my local community Facebook page shared a homeowner’s encounter with a rattlesnake in her backyard. In her post, she encouraged everyone reading the post to make sure their dogs get the rattlesnake vaccine. Most responses to her suggestion were from dog owners who said they were going to get their dogs vaccinated.
    My first thought on reading this was, how can there be a “vaccine” for rattlesnake bite?
    Vaccine theory posits that injecting a killed or weakened germ into the body will stimulate the immune system to produce antibodies, as if the body had been infected with a disease. The vaccine is supposed to mimic a natural infection, without actually causing an infection.
    However, a rattlesnake bite is not an infection. A bite from a venomous snake puts a toxin into the body. How can there be a vaccine against a rattlesnake bite?

Read the rest here:

Rattlesnake Vaccine For My Dogs? No Thanks!

Last edited by Islander; 06-19-16 at 07:18 AM.

Default Re: Rattlesnake Vaccine For Dogs

I decided some time ago that my 3 cats will get the minimum number of vaccines possible. Once past the kittens stage, the only vaccine they should need would be the legally required rabies shot. I have read far too many stories of pets that developed a malignant tumor at a vaccine site.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

I posted this at our local FB pet forum. A lady replied that her dog had been bitten twice and this vaccine "saved her life." I'd really like to have a real conversation with her to hear her reasoning for believing this. But things are misunderstood too easily in forums. And if she really believes the vaccine saved her pet's life, well, i can't argue with that.

Quite honestly, i believe that 99.9% of what we are told about vaccines being miracles and "life-saving" is hype at the best. It has come to the point that people believe what they are told. They've been told that polio and smallpox are gone because of vaccines, and that we "live longer" because of vaccines and modern medicine. Much of this is shady work with statistics rather than real improvement. No one is questioning the rampant amount of chronic illness and a poorer quality of life.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katee View Post
    I posted this at our local FB pet forum. A lady replied that her dog had been bitten twice and this vaccine "saved her life." I'd really like to have a real conversation with her to hear her reasoning for believing this. But things are misunderstood too easily in forums. And if she really believes the vaccine saved her pet's life, well, i can't argue with that.

Quite honestly, I believe that 99.9% of what we are told about vaccines being miracles and "life-saving" is hype at the best.
    We lost a dog in the prime of life last year at 4 years old, just a few weeks after he got vaccines and developed tumors and brain cancer so that will be the last time our dogs ever get vaccinated other than the mandatory rabies shot. I honestly feel that it's safer to take a chance with lyme, heartworm etc. Sometimes the cure is much worse than the disease.

Be very leery about anyone who stands to gain from giving you advice, especially your vet - never ask a barber if you need a haircut. Feed them well and beware corporate profiteering.

Exactly. Everyone who visits an optometrist comes out wearing glasses, too. Follow the money.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

My spayed, black, wirehaired Griffon, Maggie, who was given to me from an excessively large litter of 12, (as a result, the dam had to be neutered to protect her health), spends most of the daylight hours outdoors with the black neutered and unusually friendly barn cat, Midnight, who showed up here quite unexpectedly about 7-8 years ago and has claimed this place as his home ever since, residing in a special shelter in the hay shed, and never seems to stop purring. But Maggie is brought indoors every night. The two get along quite well and even play like two Warner Bros. cartoon characters, and are outdoor paleo savvy, hunting various rodents and rabbits for snacks. When I make the rounds twice daily, they both follow me like two black shadows.

On at least two separate occasions, the two together have discovered and confronted rattle snakes. I immediately take Maggie away with a loud command and lock her away while I grab the shotgun and dispatch the rattler which is fed to scavengers in the forest. And Midnight usually runs away. I know darn well, as foxy, aggressive, and wiry as Maggie is, she will eventually get bit if I don't interfere. She's a good watch dog and I can't afford to lose her. Both (and other cats) have been vaccinated for rabies, but I'll be damned if I have then "vaccinated" for rattlesnakes, what a joke.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/rev...ggriffons.html example of Griffons
    Last edited by grulla; 06-19-16 at 05:41 PM.

Thread Information