Thread: The Lethal Suspects for Microcephaly in Brazil, With Zika Virus at the Bottom of the

Default The Lethal Suspects for Microcephaly in Brazil, With Zika Virus at the Bottom of the

This is the most thorough and balanced article I have seen on the topic.

James Grundvig
    July 18, 2016

Since the virus Zika was blamed for a cluster of cases in northeastern Brazil of the devastating birth defect microcephaly, mainstream media has been dominated by fear of a Zika pandemic. Meanwhile, the real culprit(s) behind the surge in microcephaly in that corner of Brazil have been ignored, with the exception of a few scientists, and even fewer journalists.
    This story started on Feb. 1, 2016, when the World Health Organization (WHO) announced a pandemic emergency with the Zika virus, a much milder cousin of Dengue fever. The WHO blamed Zika alone for the sharp uptick in microcephaly (shrunken heads, resulting in shrunken and undeveloped brains, with a wide range of symptoms and disabilities possible, depending on the severity of the case) in babies born in impoverished areas of northeast Brazil.

Continue reading: http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/2117...m-of-the-list/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: The Lethal Suspects for Microcephaly in Brazil, With Zika Virus at the Bottom of

This is great; I shall refer to this article in some of our local on-line groups when people scream for more government spraying and other deadly means of mosquito control.

Default Re: The Lethal Suspects for Microcephaly in Brazil, With Zika Virus at the Bottom of

Thanks Islander for a great article. Am I being picky to dislike the word 'uptick' in a serious article? I don't like the silly word anyway, but what's wrong with 'rise'?
    Last edited by Julieanne; 07-26-16 at 06:45 AM.

Julie, if you get me started there's no end to the words and phrases I find annoying or objectionable. One of my pet peeves is "up" used as a verb, as in, "Committee ups recycling fees." I understand that headline writers have to limit space but it can be taken all the way to incoherence. My latest irksome word is the superfluous use of "now:" I've been working for this agency for 12 years now," "The total number of registered voters is over 12,000 now" and the like. Obviously we're talking about the present, yes? Is this some kind of perverted attempt at emphasis, as in "scare quotes"?

Perhaps we need to have a new forum, where people could start their "Grammar Police" threads. I'm sure we could think of quite a few offender words and phrases. A friend of mine started a long FB thread about the use of the word "fluent". One can speak Spanish fluently, but one cannot speak fluent Spanish. The conversation goes on and on, but you get the drift.

I like that idea Maurya! Maybe it could be a sub-forum of 'Blogspot'?

Yep, good idea.

Veteran Member

I agree. But Islander, if I may respectfully point out, you used the Spanish-style "yes?" when standard English, if you wanted something there, would be "...we're talking about the present, aren't we?/are we not?/right?, depending on your whim and the degree of formality you want.

I wasn't aware of that nuance, Pattypans. So was I being very informal?

As you were responding, not writing an article, the informality is appropriate. Although I see many articles written in a fairly informal manner anyway, maybe to make them more reader friendly.

Thread Information