Thread: Florida to begin aerial spraying of insecticides to control Zika

Default Florida to begin aerial spraying of insecticides to control Zika

Julie Steenhuysen
    Wed Aug 3, 2016

Florida will conduct an aerial insecticide spraying campaign at dawn on Wednesday in an effort to kill mosquitoes carrying the Zika virus, officials in Miami-Dade County said.
    The campaign will cover a 10-mile area that includes the one-mile-square area just north of downtown Miami that health officials have identified as the hub of Zika transmission in the state, the officials said on Tuesday.
    On Monday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued an unprecedented travel warning, urging pregnant women to avoid travel to the Miami neighborhood at the center of the investigation.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-he...ealth%20Report
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Florida to begin aerial spraying of insecticides to control Zika

This morning I was listening to an article on NPR (radio) where various people, both political and ordinary, in Puerto Rico expressed their outrage at this spraying that already had been done, or was threatened to be done in areas of Puerto Rico. The essence of the outrage was that vast experimentation had been taking place in a downtrodden colony of the US. Now they are trying to do this right in a state of the US. Trade a very tentative, possible connection of Zika with birth defects for a very certain relationship of the pesticide with birth defects. Height of stupidity!

Veteran Member

Right, Maurya. And I can't help but wonder how, in the run-up to the Rio Olympics, 'they' started saying that Zika wouldn't be a very big concern. It went from frenzy to nothing to worry about? Why? Because it never really was about the mosquitoes in the first place? Or what? I can attest that there are lots of mosquitoes in Rio right now. There are literally dozens on the ceiling and walls of the corredor of my building at any given time, not to mention a lesser number in my apartment.

Thanks, Maurya. Don't you love irony?

We are dumbed down and easily led.

Patty, I'm aghast at the population of mosquitoes where you are. I rarely see even one indoors, and virtually none outdoors at all. Of course it's been terribly dry here, mild drought conditions.

Veteran Member

Funny thing is, we get a lot more mosquitoes in the 'winter' than in the summer, which is a mercy, because I have to shut the doors and windows before sundown when there are mosquitoes.

Yep, this is part of my daily routine, as well. When I look out across the valley to see the sun setting against the hill, then it is time to shut the slider door and to shut the windows. Even though we have screens, the little biting guys find their way in around the edges somehow whenever it is dark outdoors and the lights are turned on indoors. Not just mosquitoes though, other tiny insects bite and are extremely annoying. (I just slammed one of them right on my ear just now.) Plenty of people have Zika around here, and although I think the birth defect connection totally is BS, I still don't want to be sick with any virus at all.

Yikes! I thought screens would keep the little buggers out!

Screens certainly keep them out of my house - I never see a fly or a mosquito indoors. We have annoying bush flies that drive you nuts, flying and landing on your face. but they don't come inside.

Vitamin B (1?) seems to have helped me, a mosquito magnet. We don't (yet) have Zika, but I come up in red lumps that itch and last for days, so I'm always looking for ways to keep them away.

These mosquito trap suggestions come from an Australian gardening forum - some bought, some home-made. I like the idea of the sock one.

http://www.ecosnippets.com/diy/how-t...lling-ovitrap/

http://news.ufl.edu/2005/05/19/mosquito-traps/

http://www.mosquito.com.au/wp-conten...quito-trap.pdf

http://www.ambushmosquitotraps.com.au/
    Last edited by Islander; 08-13-16 at 07:23 AM.

Thread Information