Thread: Woman in her 60s gives birth following IVF, sparks debate

Default Woman in her 60s gives birth following IVF, sparks debate

Dani-Elle Dubé
    October 19, 2016

By the time most women reach their 60s they’d expect to be a grandmother, not an expectant mother.

But Lina Alvarez of Spain recently welcomed her third child at the age of 62 — a healthy baby girl — after undergoing controversial IVF treatments. (It’s not known whether Alvarez used her own eggs or donor eggs for the procedure.) She’s already the mom to two boys, aged 28 and 10.

“I couldn’t feel happier,” Alvarez told The Telegraph, who’s an IVF doctor herself.“I’m looking forward to resting for at least a couple of days now so I can enjoy time with my daughter and recover.”

Read on at: http://globalnews.ca/news/3013287/wo...sparks-debate/

Default Re: Woman in her 60s gives birth following IVF, sparks debate

Imagine that, grandmas on social security, having babies. How are we going to feed the never ending, exponentially expanding, world population, especially with organic food and with increasingly limited, clean and safe, natural resources. Monsanto to the rescue, (sarc). What next?
    Last edited by grulla; 10-20-16 at 08:38 AM.

And I thought I was pushing the envelope at 39!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

This is not the first - I remember a woman in Italy giving birth at 60 many years ago. IVF? No idea. I kind of agree with grulla, though I don't think too many women would want to saddle themselves with babies at that age. I doubt we'll be over-run with geriatric mothers. It's the young ones who are pushing up the birth rate.

And actually, birth rates are falling over most of the world, although admittedly not fast enough to make a difference in the long view.

"And actually, birth rates are falling over most of the world..." Nothing personal here "Islander", but in the name of accuracy, it's been my experience on health forums that when it is written in that ambiguous way, people reading that get the false and misleading impression that the population is actually going down, when in fact all that means is that the rate of population increase is slowing down somewhat, but still increasing none-the-less.

And some of those readers who are actively pro-procreation (for whatever reason, no matter what) for big, huge families, may want to use that ambiguity to deceive and mislead others. I hate to sound like a stickler and a knit-picker, but I truly believe that this global population issue is the "mother" of all manmade environmental concerns, overly taxing and depleting our finite, clean and safe natural resources, and I cringe when people mislead or misread into something like that.
    Last edited by grulla; 10-21-16 at 08:35 AM.

Yes, your points are well taken. I'm in the middle of harvest, not much time to be as precise as I should.

Veteran Member

Not to derail the topic, (I'm actively pro-procreation myself yet have only one son and that was an accident, best mistake I ever made) but just curious:

What are you harvesting, Islander? I know it's a short growing season up there...

Well, actually, everything. Because I'm determined to eat organically, and because I can, I continue to maintain my gardens, my orchard and my berry patch, as well as raising 60 organic free range broilers and 4 organic pastured pigs (for income and for my freezer). I grow everything that can be grown in the short Maine season. Some crops, like snap peas and pole beans, have already gone by and the tender ones have succumbed to the first killing frost, but I still canned all the tomatoes that were available and processed a 5 gallon bucket of peppers the day before the frost hit. I can even grow eggplant here! The peppers got to the freezer a day or two ago; I still have red cabbage to process into rotkraut, and since I have put up all the sauerkraut I need for a year, I have one last head of green cabbage to use in soups or stirfries. The list of all the veggies I grow is long and boring, but right now I'm dealing with winter squash and pumpkins. They are curing to be moved down cellar, and if some reach their storage limit, they'll be cooked after Christmas and frozen. The apples have been turned into sauce and canned to be stored down cellar, and the remaining apples will be sliced and dehydrated. I had hoped to put 200 cloves of garlic in today, but the rain (although very welcome) ended those plans. And I forgot to mention the livestock gardens! Because I eat right and stay active producing my own food, I expect to live to a healthy old age!
    Last edited by Islander; 10-22-16 at 08:58 PM.

Thread Information