Thread: The Day The Lights Go Out And The Trucks Stop Running

Default The Day The Lights Go Out And The Trucks Stop Running

Monetary Watch
    Submitted by Michael Snyder
    August 29, 2016

What would happen if some sort of major national emergency caused a massive transportation disruption that stopped trucks from running? The next time you talk to a trucker, please thank them for their service, because without their hard work none of our lives would be possible. In America today, very few of us live a truly independent lifestyle, and that means that we rely on the system to provide what we need. Most of us take for granted that there will always be plenty of goods at Wal-Mart and at the grocery store whenever we need more “stuff”, and most of us never give a second thought to how all of that “stuff” gets there. Well, the truth is that most of it is brought in by trucks, and if the trucks stopped running for some reason the entire country would devolve into chaos very rapidly.

Keep reading: http://monetarywatch.com/2016/08/day...-stop-running/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: The Day The Lights Go Out And The Trucks Stop Running

Saturday night at 10 pm, while I still had bone broth simmering on the stove, the power went out. A power outage is awkward in the summer months when there is no cool place for cold storage. I had to put hot bone broth into a powerless refrigerator. (I did move an ice brick from the freezer to the fridge for the night). But the outage made me re-think my smug assumptions about self-sufficiency. I still don't have a generator, and even if I did, how long would fuel last in an extended outage? And what then? These are serious questions.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: The Day The Lights Go Out And The Trucks Stop Running

And what then? These are serious questions, indeed. But, there's always firewood even if you have to go find it out of the woods, the hell with utility companies they suck you dry. There's bound to be rain eventually, which is what we been praying for (yeay, happy for the trees even as they burn.)

The only power outage that really matters is when I can't get up to get a beer.

Generators require gas to run, and there may not be any if electricity goes kaput or the trucks stop rolling (internet attack? conspiracy in theory only) Then again, we may be on to the next best thing to fossils, solar. Of course if the sun stops shinning, we'd have much bigger problems than squirrels.
    Last edited by Ora Moose; 09-01-16 at 11:13 AM.

Thread Information