Thread: How to cook quinoa like they do in Bolivia

Default How to cook quinoa like they do in Bolivia

I used to prepare quinoa like everyone else, because the recipes are all basically the same: rinse it (removes the saponins), add it to boiling water, simmer for 20 minutes. Well, that works... but I've learned how it's done in Bolivia and other countries where it's been cultivated for 5000 years, and it's so much better! Here's how it's done:

• Soak a cup of quinoa for an hour.
    • Rinse well, drain.
    • Place in a pot with 1 1/2 C water.
    • Bring to a boil, cover, simmer for 3 minutes. STOP.
    • Remove from heat, let sit for 10 minutes.
    • If little ringlets form, it's overdone.

This results in a light, fluffy concoction that's much more appealing! Try it!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: How to cook quinoa like they do in Bolivia

This is almost exactly the way I cook it now, though I used to do it the other way. I read about it a while ago (on Mercola I think, lol) in a comment by one of our own--Grulla, was it you? The poster said a Bolivian taught her (him?) how to do it this way. I don't remember seeing the proportions for this method, so I experimented, and amazingly enough, for me 1:1 (or maybe 1: a teensy bit more than 1) works great.

Funny, I can't remember where I saw it but the instructions did refer to specific measurements. A lot of information crossess my desk in a day, so it's hopeless to try to trace the source, but I'm happy to share it because it's a timesaver and the results are superlative!

Quote Originally Posted by Pattypans View Post
    This is almost exactly the way I cook it now, though I used to do it the other way. I read about it a while ago (on Mercola I think, lol) in a comment by one of our own--Grulla, was it you? The poster said a Bolivian taught her (him?) how to do it this way. I don't remember seeing the proportions for this method, so I experimented, and amazingly enough, for me 1:1 (or maybe 1: a teensy bit more than 1) works great.
    Yes, and it was accomplished organic farmer "Krofter", that originally brought it to my/our attention, and just like my recent whole oat groats posting, that is how I now prepare quinoa. If you see the quinoa turn into o-rings, it's been over cooked and starchy. By preventing that, as well as refrigerating for 24 hours before reheating, one can maintain a sufficient level of amylose starch resistant quinoa or groats.
    Unlike my oat groats, I have never PREsoaked my white quinoa, (perhaps I now will), but rather just bring the water to a boil and gradually pour the quinoa into the boiling water, (like rice) and wait for the boil to return. (Use a tall oversize pot to prevent rising foam overflow spill.) When the first boil returns, you have the option of adding diced (organic) apple and wait a moment for the 2nd boil to return. Then boil briefly with reduced heat for about 3-5 minutes, and just like oat groats, turn off the heat completely in order to avoid the o-rings, and let the pot/batch cool down gradually (absorbing the water) for the rest of the amylose, starch resistant producing 24 hour refrigeration period. Just like oat groats, planning ahead for a large, week long supply (batch) of properly prepared quinoa is key and practical.
    Last edited by grulla; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:48 PM.

[/QUOTE]I have never PREsoaked my white quinoa[QUOTE]
    But you do rinse it, right, to remove the saponins?

I will now.

Thread Information