Thread: Fail: Diabetes Medication Isn't Working. So What Does?

Default Fail: Diabetes Medication Isn't Working. So What Does?

Linda Woolven & Ted Snider
    December 12 2016

9.3% of Americans and 6.5% of Canadians suffer from diabetes. There is a lot of agreement about the medical treatment. But does the treatment work? At least 5 crucial studies have found that it doesn’t.

People with type 2 diabetes are 2-4 times more likely to die from heart disease. But when the authoritative Cochrane group did a systematic review of 20 studies of type 2 diabetics, they found that there was no significant benefit to intensely targeting blood sugar control with drugs for either cardiovascular death or death from any cause. While it did reduce the risk of amputation, retinopathy and nephropathy, it also increased the risk of hypoglycaemia by 30% (Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011 Jun 15;(6):CD008143).

Read more: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/fai...g-so-what-does

Default Re: Fail: Diabetes Medication Isn't Working. So What Does?

Now you have touched on one of the issues I'm passionate about.
    :: pulls up soapbox ::

Type 2 diabetes (T2DM) is a lifestyle disease. You don't catch it; you bring it on by the choices you make in life, specifically diet and exercise. Lifestyle choices will prevent it, and lifestyle changes can reverse it. Pharma won't tell you this because keeping you medicated means profit from you for life. Indeed, the diet they prescribe will guarantee that you'll need medication for the remainder of your life.

My blood sugar (BG) was normal until a year after retirement. During that year, having retired, I quit smoking (could no longer afford it), was less physically active, gained weight. The following year my A1c (measurement of BG over the last 90 days) was 8.9. Normal is 4.5. Immediately upon being diagnosed, I was prescribed Metformin and given meal plans to follow — plans, I later realized, that were designed to keep me sick and medicated.

So I began researching, and here's what I learned:
    • sugar in any form (refined, brown, coconut, HFCS, any sugar), honey, maple syrup, molasses, dates, bananas, any sweet fruits and especially juices, raise BG. Why fruit juices? Whole fruit includes pulp with its fiber, which slows absorption and lowers the BG spike. Juices, OTOH, are virtually pure sweetness.
    • grains (wheat, rice, barley) and starchy vegetables (potatoes, root vegetables, winter squash etc.) also raise BG. Starch from these veggies immediately turns to sugar upon contact with saliva.

So the means to prevent T2DM, or reverse it once you're diagnosed, becomes apparent: avoid sugar; eliminate grains and limit starchy vegetables; get physically active, even if it's only a brisk 20-30-minute walk every day.

Do doctors know this? Perhaps, but they're unlikely to tell you so because they know most people would reject that advice. What? No more bread, toast, bagels, donuts, pqsta, pizza, pies and cakes? "Impossible! Life would not be worth living! I would rather choose retinopathy, blindness, heart and kidney disease, amputations, a lifetime of insulin injections and becoming a perennial burden to my spouse, partner or other caregiver."

Exaggeration? I'm afraid not. I know people with T2DM who have experienced all of the above; two are already dead, one is on regular dialysis... none of them is prepared to give up the foods they are addicted to.

What about me? In 9 years of following this lifestyle I have lost all the weight I gained, discontinued medication, made a point of staying active daily, dropped my A1c from 8.9 to 5.1 and have maintained that level for several years. I used to have a 90-day checkup but my doc has relaxed that to every 6 months. I eat very well! High fat, moderate protein, low carb. I eat beef, lamb, pork, chicken, sausage, deer & moose, fish, liver, lots of eggs! Cheeses, avocados, low-carb veggies (beans, salad greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, greens like kale & collards, etc etc. Lots of stir-frys, soups, stews. If I want a bit of sweet I can play with yogurt, ricotta or cream with fruit and stevia. I have recipes for grain-free pancakes (e.g. cream cheese pancakes, buckwheat pancakes) and I substitute cornbread or polenta for something starchy. I am not the least deprived and I feel great!

:: pushes soapbox away ::
    Last edited by Islander; 12-15-16 at 11:34 AM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

And yet......from two weeks ago:

Read more: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2016/...w-carb-advice/

Julie, this is utterly insane. Something similar happened to a blogger here, i.e. he was forbidden to offer nutritional advice, but as I recall he was never prevented from furthering his knowledge via additional schooling. At least Dr. Fettke had medical credentials.

I understand that there is such a thing as "standard of care" and that U.S. doctors work around that with evasive language, e.g. "I can't advise you on that... but if I had a daughter with that problem, I would..." It seems that fascism is increasingly becoming the norm, from what I read and in particular, from South Africa and Australia. I treasure what is left of our medical freedom and fear for those in the next administration who may jeopardise it.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information