Default Hummus

1/3 C. tahini*
    16-oz. can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained, or
    2 cups cooked beans
    1/4 C. lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic
    2 T. olive oil
    salt to taste

In your blender, magic bullet or food processor, process tahini, beans and garlic until smooth. Add lemon juice and salt, process. Add oil and whiz until well blended. Let stand one hour at room temperature to allow flavors to mature, then refrigerate.

*If you have sesame seeds on hand, you can make your own tahini too.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Hummus

You could also cook the chickpeas from scratch (from dried chickpeas, that is). If you wanted to. (You can cook dried beans in a slow cooker if you don't want to heat up the house.)

I soak overnight, cook them in a pressure cooker and freeze in small amounts. I just found an Asian grocery not far from me, with a huge range of products in bulk. A kilo (2.2 lb) of chickpeas was really cheap.

Off topic: I also found a bottle of Neem oil for $3! This stuff costs the earth anywhere else. I will use it in the garden for pesky insects, especially Mediterranean fruit fly - it is an anti-feedant rather than a poison.

Nice about the Asian grocery. I have 3 choices of organic and specialty stores, all about equidistant from me in different directions and all just different enough that it's worth visiting them on a rotating basis, or if I happen to be traveling in that direction on some other errand. I'm adding dried chickpeas to the list. Especially in winter, I can cook them with no additional power since I have 2 woodstoves going most of the time.

Neem oil is a great asset for the garden. Stops powdery mildew too (but so does a baking soda solution).

Just remembered something today - I used to sprout chickpeas briefly before I cooked them. This cut down the cooking time and I guess made them more nutritious. I only left them long enough for a little shoot to show, so it didn't take too long. I'm going to start doing this again. I did it with brown rice too, in the same way. Why is it we forget and stop doing these useful things?

Funny, I just read an item somewhere about "blooming" rice. It's the same idea: soak the rice just until it begins to sprout, then cook as usual. I think it's sposed to be fluffier too...

Veteran Member

Wow you just gave me a great idea. We often buy fresh alfalfa, brocolli and other sprouts to put on sandwiches and salads but the packages are too big and we end up tossing them in the compost so, maybe I'll try try stir frying them before they go bad. Sounds weird but could be delicious nutritious never know until you try.
    Last edited by Ora Moose; 01-09-17 at 09:00 PM.

Ora, this is why I sprout my own. Just a couple of teaspoons of seeds at a time in a pint Mason jar is just right for one person. Nothing to do but rinse them once or twice a day. I set them in a sunny windowsill to green up once they get 1/2" long.

Thread Information