Thread: Canada seeks warnings on prescription painkillers amid rising deaths

Default Canada seeks warnings on prescription painkillers amid rising deaths

Anna Mehler Paperny
    Mon Jan 23, 2017

As deaths from powerful painkillers continue to rise, Canada is pursuing unprecedented measures to curb their use, including requiring cigarette-style warning stickers on every prescription, Health Minister Jane Philpott told Reuters.
    Next month Health Canada plans to publish a detailed proposal for the stickers, which Philpott said would warn that opioid painkillers can cause addiction and overdose. In March, an advisory panel is set to consider a second measure, revising the official label definition of how opioids should – and should not - be used, officials said.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ca...ealth%20Report
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Canada seeks warnings on prescription painkillers amid rising deaths

We have almost the opposite situation in Australia. For many years now it has been difficult to obtain anything but the mildest pain killer - you practically have to be at death's door! It all depends on the particular doctor of course. Hospitals, which used to hand out sleeping tablets and pain killers like candy, now have such strict policies you have to get down on your knees and beg. Of course, this probably came about because in the past it was too lax, and patients were becoming addicted. As usual, when government makes changes, it always goes too far.

Default Re: Canada seeks warnings on prescription painkillers amid rising deaths

In the US the situation varies wildly from one region to the next. In some states they are quite stingy with any painkiller, including prescribing painkillers directly following major surgery. Go across the state line to a different hospital and a different doctor, and the situation can be almost the opposite.

I had no trouble getting pain medication in the hospital and after surgery, to take home. The only problem was that I wasn't in a lot of pain so I never took them. I kept them on hand just in case, and after a hard fall I took a few to relieve my back pain. The results? Less pain, wicked constipation. Not worth the grief!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Not worth the grief!
    This is because you are a normal, basically healthy person. Many people, perhaps even a majority of people in the US, are so unhealthy at the outset of their injury that their response to taking the pain medicine will be quite different.

When I had a surgery in Baltimore (to repair the mess made by the surgeons in Philadelphia, the ones who were made to be so stingy with the pain drugs), the surgeon said to me something like this: "You were not a drug addict prior to this surgery, so I do not expect you to suddenly become one now. Take the drugs until they are no long needed, and you just naturally will be taking fewer and fewer until none are needed at all." Of course, he was absolutely correct about this, but he was aware that I was, like Islander, a basically healthy person prior to the injury. Many people are not.

Thread Information