Thread: Dual Screening for Prostate Cancer Is Most Effective

Default Dual Screening for Prostate Cancer Is Most Effective

Frank Shallenberger, MD
    April 3, 2017

Prostate biopsies are dangerous. They can cause bleeding and infection. Occasionally they can cause a fatal infection called sepsis. The other problem with prostate biopsies are that they're not all that accurate. Depending on what study you look at, prostate biopsies miss 25-50% of cancers. So, is there a way to decrease the use of biopsies in a safe and scientific manner?

Read more: https://www.secondopinionnewsletter....-Effective.htm
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Dual Screening for Prostate Cancer Is Most Effective

I'm glad you posted this timely article, as I have a doctor's prescription work order authorization to have my prostate checked via ultrasound. However, the article reads, "The most accurate way is the trans rectal ultrasound guided biopsy, or TRUS biopsy.", which sounds invasive since the word "biopsy" is included, so I now need to ask more questions...thanks.

Well, you're only going for an ultrasound at this stage. If a biopsy is indicated, then go back and read Shallenberger's final paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Well, you're only going for an ultrasound at this stage. If a biopsy is indicated, then go back and read Shallenberger's final paragraph.
    To be more clear, I need to ask if this particular ultrasound is a simple, routine scan procedure, or if this particular ultrasound is going to include a "TRUS" biopsy.

As of last fall, I was told Medicare did not cover the cost of the MRI prostate cancer screening procedure, which is about $600. Also, many private insurances are not yet covering this procedure. Based on what I've read, the TRUS biopsy is not very effective in detecting lesions on the anterior of the prostate, which is the side farthest from the rectum. The MRI can see the entire prostate, but apparently, is not yet covered by most insurances.

Well that's discouraging.
    The only wear 'n' tear part of me is my hips. I do a lot of carrying: grain bags in summer, wood (and this year, water) in winter. Seems to take a toll on hip joints. Medicare or not, I'd seriously consider a hip replacement in Spain, where I'm told the surgery, flight and hotel accommodations are still cheaper than the cost of the procedure at home. But maybe that's without insurance? I'll find out of the time ever comes.

A friend needed dental implants. Absolutely unaffordable here. He had it done expertly in Mexico: two flights down & back, accommodations etc. and a couple of nice vacations for less than the US price!

In Australia, Thailand and India are two popular countries for 'medical tourism'. If I needed, and could afford, dental implants, I think that's the way I would go. I inquired about replacing one tooth last year, and was quoted $4000AU! I would get a little back, but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    As of last fall, I was told Medicare did not cover the cost of the MRI prostate cancer screening procedure, which is about $600. Also, many private insurances are not yet covering this procedure. Based on what I've read, the TRUS biopsy is not very effective in detecting lesions on the anterior of the prostate, which is the side farthest from the rectum. The MRI can see the entire prostate, but apparently, is not yet covered by most insurances.
    I've been going to an intergrative MD/ND clinic for weekly alphalipoic (ALA) IVs to reduce my arterial calcification and normalize my BP (which last Wed was back to my normal, lifelong 120/79, down from last year's spike of 165/100, hope I can sustain that). What does that have to do with prostrate, just this. When I asked my urologist last fall what else besides cancer, could cause prostrate enlargement, his answer was "calcification", gee, what a coincidence. I have since reduced my dairy consumption by over 80%, only use a little high fat, Vit K Gouda or Muenster cheese for my morning omelets, no more of those daily, home made (organic) frozen yogurts, only for special occasions. And I only finally wised up to not using many years of antacids just last year, in favor of ACV, wish I had learned that much earlier. Also making sure my Vit D to Vit K ratio (with Mg) is more than adequate, to help avoid misplaced calcium.

Anyway, I have Medicare managed by United Health Care AARP, that's for qualifying, retired RR industry employees , ( https://secure.rrb.gov/ ) , and they pay for the clinic visits, but will not pay for those weekly ALA IVs, along with the Vit B12 injections, which is costing me $138.00/visit, every week, out of pocket. But I'm not complaining too much, as health is wealth, and without good health, all else becomes moot. Where I do complain however, is that good, credible, alternative medicine is not recognized by the allopathic leaning medical insurance industry. OH, and I'll be going to the ultrasound facility soon, prepared with the above posted prostrate questions and issues.
    Last edited by grulla; 04-09-17 at 10:26 AM.

Julie, I've read excellent reviews of both Thailand and India in terms of hospitals and quality of medical care, at reasonable prices.

Thread Information