Thread: The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, and It Is Not What You Think

Default The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, and It Is Not What You Think

This article is not new, as you can see by the date. I've only recently rediscovered it. If you haven't seen it, it is very definitely worth the read. I think you'll find it eye-opening.

Johann Hari

01/20/2015

It is now one hundred years since drugs were first banned — and all through this long century of waging war on drugs, we have been told a story about addiction by our teachers and by our governments. This story is so deeply ingrained in our minds that we take it for granted. It seems obvious. It seems manifestly true. Until I set off three and a half years ago on a 30,000-mile journey for my new book, Chasing The Scream: The First And Last Days of the War on Drugs
    , to figure out what is really driving the drug war, I believed it too. But what I learned on the road is that almost everything we have been told about addiction is wrong — and there is a very different story waiting for us, if only we are ready to hear it.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann...b_6506936.html
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, and It Is Not What You Think

Recently I heard a news story on the radio about the Portugal experience. It seems that even people who remain to be convinced as to the reality of this socially oriented mechanism for drug use, do become convinced when it turns out that this is an extremely inexpensive treatment method for drug users, compared to the punitive, socially isolating methods being used in the US. Money talks, even when reason and human compassion have failed.

Thread Information