Thread: Are Nightshade Vegetables Bad For You?

Default Are Nightshade Vegetables Bad For You?

Joe Leech
    April 18 2017

Many argue that nightshade vegetables causes various health issues. But are they actually unhealthy to eat? This article explores the current research.
    What Are Nightshade Foods?
    Nightshades are plants in the Solanaceae family.
    There are more than 3,000 varieties, a handful of which are staple fruits, vegetables and herbs in our diet.
    Common nightshade foods include:

• Tomatoes
    • Peppers (capsicums — all varieties)
    • Eggplant (aubergine)
    • Potatoes (all varieties except for sweet potatoes)
    • Tomatillos
    • Husk cherries
    • Huckleberries
    • Pimento
    • Paprika
    • Cayenne pepper
    • Chilis

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/are...d-for-you.html

Default Re: Are Nightshade Vegetables Bad For You?

I've read a few accounts of people who have had adverse reactions to nightshades but that has never been my experience. Additionally, I've gone long periods without them and not noticed any health improvements. In fact, my worst experiment with food consisted of four weeks on a ketogenic diet with sometimes zero carbs. I felt sluggish, had no energy, and over the 4-week period I lost four pounds. I personally know people who live this way and buy all their food from supermarkets. It must be a terribly expensive regimen when the largest part by far is protein and fat.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

The article does have some balance at least. Most info I read on nightshade family implies we should all remove then from our diet. I can't imagine life without tomatoes or chili!

I can't imagine life without my "bell peppers." Apparently, nightshades include solanine, which attacks the muscles and joints. I've heard of severe arthritis improving after eliminating nightshades. It's tricky though because it depends on your sensitivity to solanine.

Some people are quite sensitive to gliadin, some people are sensitive to oxalates, some people are sensitive to solanine. Guess what, we humans are not all identical. Sooner or later, medical science has got to get a clue about this basic fact of human existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    ...."Guess what, we humans are not all identical. Sooner or later, medical science has got to get a clue about this basic fact of human existence.
    You are so right!! Had this very thought today while watching an episode of "The Truth About Vaccines." The link between vaccines and autism is unclear because "we are not identical," as you said. But, IMHO, I believe there is a link between vaccines and autism "for some kids,"..but not all. Just as nightshades affect adults differently.

I'm sensitive to cilantro. Bleagggchk!

About autism: I suspect that genetics and/or environmental factors often loads the gun... and then a vaccine pulls the trigger. On vaccine blogs you will read story after story of a mother whose child was doing fine, progressing at a normal rate, then suddenly the child was given a shot and regressed almost instantly. Constant crying, in pain, spiked a fever, seizures, regression — a 15-month-old who was walking suddenly regressed to the crawling stage. Verbal children stopped talking. And so on.

Yeah, these are very sad cases. I agree, "....the vaccine pulls the trigger." I thank you for the info. on the "vaccine court." I've done some research. More than $3 billion paid to families for vaccine damage. If President Reagan had not signed into law "The National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986," you can bet the awards would have been much more than $3 billion.

Yet you never see that $3 billion figure reported on any traditional news medium. At least I never have. It might raise some awareness — some understanding that maybe those anti-vaxxers have a point?

Robert Kennedy, Jr. is one prominent figure leading the fight to raise awareness. He says he's not an "anti-vaxxer," but he thinks there is a problem. I sam him on a program last night talking about how the number of vaccines and the number of doses of each vaccine increased after the law was passed in 1986. Interestingly, he said it is hard to get air time on TV to discuss this issue because BigPharma runs so many ads they now control the TV networks advertising dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    Interestingly, he said it is hard to get air time on TV to discuss this issue because BigPharma runs so many ads they now control the TV networks advertising dollars.
    Recently I have been ruminating on this issue; due to a perfect storm of cascading catastrophe, I will be without TV for a few weeks. (Yes, I do know that many people deliberately live without TV in their lives.) While I have been watching my last few TV programs, I have been trying to be conscious of the commercials, which normally I fast forward through while watching the shows on DVR. The vast majority of TV commercials seem to be advertising either prescription drugs or over the counter drug store drugs.

When one considers that TV is the major source of information for many people in the US, where this inundation of drug promotion is permitted, it is not too much of a mental stretch to imagine the vast power that is exerted by these corporations over every speck of content in the programming.