Thread: BREAKING NEWS!

Default BREAKING NEWS!

Islander smashes a record, having earned 251 negative points on that **other** health message board. At this moment in time (about 11:30 a.m. EST) it's down to -248 because someone came along and supported me. Evidently this is the punishment you experience when you even hint at a disagreement with the head of the practice.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: BREAKING NEWS!

Just gave you two points - not much I know, but I did it on principle. I too have felt the effects of pointing out wrong info on 'that site' - it doesn't go down well, and can even get deleted! Seems someone would rather give out incorrect information than lose face because of a mistake.

Too true. Thank you, Julie! Not that it will make a difference... as the old lady said when she peed in the ocean.

Most of the folks dinging you 251 times don't know sugar from shinola. Don't lose any sleep over ignorance.

Veteran Member

Congratulations on your record, Islander. How can that many dings even be possible? I'm dying to know what you said! I'm going to see if I can find it, and if I can, I'll vote you up, just like the old lady at the seaside.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 05-16-17 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Ended up not editing; posted my question separately instead. :)

Veteran Member

I have to assume it was the post on the ketogenic diet article. So, was it your comment that's still there, and somehow it got un-dinged? Or did they took down your original comment entirely?

It was the ketogenic diet comment, Patty, and my observation that there's no one-size-fits-all, on a day when the host was emphasizing just the opposite — a concept he would normally eschew. When I went back late the same day to see my status, behold! several things had happened: my post now had a +1, and within that thread, several comments expressing shock at the high negs and in some cases, mentioning the 250 number, had been deleted.

Mr. Wiz, I thought it was funny. It was obviously administrative vindictiveness, a lesson in what happens when you disagree with the Main Man. After all, there were only 67 posts on the page that morning, and some were individuals posting more than once, so if 65 people all gave me minus three points, that would still only total 195. I've been down this road before: banned and reinstated three times. (I've been banned at two of the most popular sites on the 'Net — I'm also banned from all of Mike Adams' sites, and that one's permanent). At the end of the day the post had earned +13 and a round of applause.

This is funny!! You banned?????.....3 times and then reinstated? Who knew? You lead an exciting life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    You lead an exciting life.
    Only on the internet, alas. It's all vicarious. The first time, a new moderator got his undies in a bunch when he saw me tell Russ to bite my clank. It was just banter — there was a history there — and it got sorted when the regular mod got pack from paternity leave. Aah, fun times.

It has occurred to me before that the negging on that other site may well involve moderators, simply because of the speed and size of the negs. To my mind, moderators should have their like/dislike access removed. They're supposed to monitor the boards for civil behaviour, not act as thought Nazis.

Your instincts are 100% right, Suzanne. I've known two of the moderators and met one personally while visiting my daughter, who lives a few minutes from their suburban Chicago headquarters. Mods receive pages of detailed instructions on how to manage points and levels. They are actually trained on how to manipulate you. They will delete posts critical to the site's owner. They are even instructed, after negging someone hard, to go back a few days later and hammer them again.

I've had a very rocky relationship with the host over the years. I've been scolded personally for promoting a competitor's product on the site, yet I also received a kind offer to pay the cost to have my organic heirloom corn tested for GM contamination by an area grower. I was awarded that purple trophy badge as an honor since no one could ever accumulate enough points in a lifetime to earn it... and of course it was snatched back when I posted something that disagreed with the day's topic, just a week or so ago. So...
    :: shrug ::

Oh, more evidence of point rigging: On Saturday, 5/20, the day's topic was the seriousness of climate change. I think I saw you there that day, Suzanne, though I'm not sure. I generally look in early and delete it if it's uninteresting. That early morning there were already something like 130 posts, very unusual so early... and every single one, with the exception of Julieanne's and one or two others, was viciously negative. I wrote a lengthy comment which gathered a thread of support as the day went on, but of course I was at the bottom of the page. So... I looked in late in the day, when there were over 350 comments, and found that all but three or four had been negged, or at the very least, dropped below sea level with a point or two, placing my heretical post third from the top. Keep in mind that in the morning those same posts had 30-45 positive points. Now that's some massive rigging!

Then on the 21st the topic was mitochondria. I kept the tab open because it began with a member making a cluster of 3 posts on chemtrails and all were at the top of the page. Hmm, I thought, let's see where this off-topic collection goes.
    Later... the cluster had left the building. Deleted. Erased. Vanished. Gone. Poof! Frankly, I applaud that action — or any action that debunks chemtrails. It's just another example of the powers of moderation. Good to know where the host stands on that issue, too.

I don't recall commenting - I usually back out of climate change discussions. Are you saying I didn't get negged? I would have a look, but trying to find past articles is almost impossible if you don't remember the sensational wording in the heading, often quite misleading.

Right, I've complained to TPTB about organizing their search function. They promised to do so but it never happened. But no, IIRC you did not get negged, Julie.

Thread Information