Thread: Stinging Nettle

Default Stinging Nettle

University of Maryland Medical Centre
    No date

Overview

Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica and the closely related Urtica urens) has a long medicinal history. In medieval Europe, it was used as a diuretic (to rid the body of excess water) and to treat joint pain.
    Stinging nettle has fine hairs on the leaves and stems that contain irritating chemicals, which are released when the plant comes in contact with the skin. The hairs, or spines, of the stinging nettle are normally very painful to the touch. When they come into contact with a painful area of the body, however, they can actually decrease the original pain. Scientists think nettle does this by reducing levels of inflammatory chemicals in the body, and by interfering with the way the body transmits pain signals.

Read more: http://www.umm.edu/health/medical/al...tinging-nettle

Default Re: Stinging Nettle

Nettles don't grow naturally here in Oz, but I'm going to get some seed and try again. They have more benefits than I realised.

Very informative!! Stinging nettles, based on this read, may affect people differently. For example, it may raise blood sugar for some and lower blood sugar for others.

A friend in a neighboring town has a horse paddock full of nettles and was going on today about the many benefits of this plant. I have none on my property, thankfully. In fact I met nettles only once, in the overgrown backyard of an Irish in-law's. In a matter of instants I felt like I was being besieged by a battalion of bees. My legs were on fire from the ankles to the knees! I ran back to the house with my legs aflame, only to be reassured by my host that they were merely nettle stings. Merely! I should say!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I have certainly experienced the sting of nettles, having spent my childhood in England, and they can be vicious! But I figure if I plant some away from the main areas I visit often, I know where they are and can avoid them. In our dry climate I doubt they will spread easily, and from what I remember they need quite fertile soil.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    I have certainly experienced the sting of nettles, having spent my childhood in England, and they can be vicious! But I figure if I plant some away from the main areas I visit often, I know where they are and can avoid them. In our dry climate I doubt they will spread easily, and from what I remember they need quite fertile soil.
    We have lots of them here, and they also seem to like lots of sun and moisture. We find them rampant near the areas where our gutters empty out next to the house foundation.
    Last edited by Ora Moose; 05-30-17 at 02:07 PM.

Thread Information