Thread: Organic foods backed by landmark report warn pesticides far more dangerous than thoug

Default Organic foods backed by landmark report warn pesticides far more dangerous than thoug

Laura Donnelly
    2 June 2017

Consumers should consider going organic because pesticides on foods are far more dangerous than was thought, causing damage to the human brain, a major study suggests.
    The research, published by the European Parliament, warns of the “very high costs” of current levels of exposure to pesticides - especially for children and pregnant women.
    It could result in new limits on pesticide levels or changes to labelling of foodstuffs, under EU laws which require the UK to review its policies by next year.
    The report warns of increasing evidence that residues from insecticides are damaging the brain, and reducing the IQ of the population. And it raises concerns that the chemicals could also cause cancer and damage to the reproductive system.

Keep reading: http://mailchi.mp/43cfd573b8d4/gmwatch?e=41e1f3b283
    (Don't try to open the Telegraph link, it's paywalled. The entire article is reproduced at the above link).
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Organic foods backed by landmark report warn pesticides far more dangerous than t

I rely heavily on the Environmental Working Group's (EWG) annual publication, "The Dirty Dozen," as guidance for which vegetables & fruits to stay away from because of heavy pesticides. For 2017, the list shows the worse foods for pesticides in this order: 1. strawberries; 2. spinach; 3. nectarines; 4. apples; 5. peaches; 6. pears; 7. cherries; 8. grapes; 9. celery; 10. tomatoes; 11. sweet bell peppers; and 12. potatoes. Likewise, EWG publishes "The Clean Fifteen," or the fruits & veggies containing the least amount of pesticides/insecticides. For 2017, Sweet corn and avocado "top" the "The Clean Fifteen" list, with cantaloupe, cauliflower, and grapefruit being at the end of the list. The "Clean Fifteen" list is great for those times when you're trying to stretch your food budget.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 06-09-17 at 04:17 PM.

Default Re: Organic foods backed by landmark report warn pesticides far more dangerous than t

Mr Wiz, I'm surprised that avocado is high on EWG's 'Clean 15' list. The only avocado pests that I know of are birds, and even they do minimal damage, so I don't know what they might be sprayed with. Do you have a link for this list? Some of it sounds odd to me, eg cauliflower can get a lot of pests.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    Mr Wiz, I'm surprised that avocado is high on EWG's 'Clean 15' list. The only avocado pests that I know of are birds, and even they do minimal damage, so I don't know what they might be sprayed with. Do you have a link for this list? Some of it sounds odd to me, eg cauliflower can get a lot of pests.
    The last 15 of the "HIGH' end of the EWG list is the good end, ending at #s 36 to 51, perhaps a bit confusing. https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/list.php

It doesn't seem surprising to me that avocado tops the Clean list, because such a hardy shell surrounds the fruit. As for cauliflower, either you have a cultivar that folds its leaves over the head, or you manually fold them; this might protect any pesticides from reaching the head. Just a guess there.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned toxic synergy. Researchers are happy to announce a minuscule herbicide residue on any given item of produce. That's really not the point. The question is, how many pesticide-laden fruits and vegetables do we eat in an average day? What the concept of toxic synergy means is that 1+1 does not necessarily equal two. When it comes to toxicants, one plus one can sometimes equal four, or eight, or a dozen or more. There is a multiplier affect in operation, which no one seems to consider. It's one of the drivers in cancer, I suspect.
    Last edited by Islander; 06-09-17 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    Excellent catch, Julieanne. I could have said this much better. What I was trying to say was sweet corn and avocado "top" EWG's Clean Fifteen list, meaning they are the least pesticide laden of the Clean Fifteen list. At the bottom of the list are cantaloupe, cauliflower, and grapefruit. These last 3 are fairly free of pesticides, but not as clean as sweet corn or avocado. There probably still is a way to say this better than I have. But, hopefully this is a little clearer. I've also edited my previous comment, hoping to make it clearer.

Thanks Mr Wiz, it's clearer now! Sometimes reading about pesticide use puzzles me. I will read of numerous chemicals sprayed on a particular plant that I seem able to grow with no problems at all. I can only assume that's because I grow organically, but I can't prove that. I do know organic growers seem to have less problems with pests overall - less, but not entirely pest-free.

Islander, re the 'toxic synergy', I wonder who would fund research into this? Just think of the number of pesticide combinations - it's eye watering! But it really needs to be done.

A cursory Google search turned up this. I think anyone with a little time could use Google Scholar to find published studies.

Synergistic Toxicity
    How can 1 + 1 = 100? “Synergistic toxicity” refers to the effect that when exposed to two toxins, the toxicity level is far greater than the additive toxicity levels of the two toxins. A good example demonstrating ‘synergistic toxicity’ is a 1978 study on mice (Shubert et al. Combined Effects in Toxicology – A Rapid systematic Testing Procedure: Cadmium, Mercury & Lead. J. of Toxicology & Environmental Health 4:763, 1978). The study took the amount of mercury salt that kills 1 in 100 mice and 1/20th of the amount of lead salt that kills 1 in 100 mice. When these amounts of mercury salt and lead salt were administered, the synergistic toxicity of these two toxins killed 100 in 100 mice:
    If Additive toxicity, one would expect 1 + 0.05 = 1.05 mice to die (1 or 2)
    With Synergistic toxicity, the results were: 1 + 0.05 = 100 mice died

See more: https://www.safeminds.org/mercury-au...stic-toxicity/

Thread Information