Thread: Autism Experts Call For Further Research Into 100-Year-Old Drug

Default Autism Experts Call For Further Research Into 100-Year-Old Drug

Katie Forster
    June 1 2017

Dr Robert Naviaux showed Suramin could 'reverse' autism-like behaviours in mice – and his latest research indicates the drug could have the same effect in humans

Autism experts have called for further research into a drug first discovered a century ago after a small-scale study suggested it could improve the symptoms of the disorder.
    Suramin has been used to treat sleeping sickness, a disease carried by flies in sub-Saharan Africa, since 1916.
    A scientist at the University of California, San Diego, called Robert Naviaux, published a study three years ago showing suramin could “reverse” autism-like behaviours in mice – and his latest research indicates the drug could have the same effect in humans.

Read more: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/he...-a7766516.html
    Last edited by Julieanne; 06-11-17 at 08:54 PM.

Default Re: Autism Experts Call For Further Research Into 100-Year-Old Drug

This makes me hopeful that one day there may be a cure for autism. Suramin sounds promising, and not too terribly "risky" for kids, given it's been used for 100 years to treat another ailment.

Veteran Member

Mr. Wizard, one article I read says suramin does have side effects, but didn't say what those were.

Veteran Member

Julieanne, thank you for posting this article. I wondered how they induced autism-like symptoms in mice (because might that not be a clue as to what causes autism in humans?), so I looked up the study. I'm still not sure how they did it (though it's possible I read how), but I did find some enlightening information in these two articles: https://www.gordonmedicalresearch.co...il-2016-v8.pdf and https://www.autismspeaks.org/about-u...utism-symptoms

These articles further explain the hypothesis of the doctor who conducted the study as to what might be the mechanism causing autism symptoms. It's extremely interesting. I'd also like to see somebody work backward, so to speak, to see what might cause that mechanism to be triggered. How much better to be able to prevent it. "The theory is that a chronic 'cell danger response' can interfere with brain development and function," per the article. It certainly sounds like something a vaccine assault could trigger, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 06-13-17 at 07:08 PM.

Veteran Member

Strangely, when I first searched with Google, I couldn't access the articles that interested me. I got this message both times: "We're sorry... ... but your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now."

So I searched with an alternative search engine. Could it be that the someone like BigPharma doesn't want this news to get out? The search terms I used were identical: suramin autism mouse study. The study was funded by private donors and foundations, according to one of the articles I linked to above, which names at least some of them.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 06-13-17 at 07:10 PM.

That's mighty strange, Patty. Using the same search terms, the first entry on the results page was a cluster of 3 stories from Google Scholar, followed by ten listings... and that's just on the first page. I never heard of an error msg like the one you received!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattypans View Post
    Mr. Wizard, one article I read says suramin does have side effects, but didn't say what those were.
    Yes, those pesky "side effects." All pharmaceuticals have them. I looked up side effects for suramin, used for African sleeping sickness. Suramin is "injected" in the vein. So, that alone can cause more severe side effects than if taken orally. Research showed "common" side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, and skin tingling. Other more "severe" side effects included trouble seeing, fever, abdominal pain, low blood pressure, and kidney problems. Again, if they are able to develop an "oral" dose, perhaps the side effects could be diminished. Also, thanks for those great links. Very informative.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    That's mighty strange, Patty. Using the same search terms, the first entry on the results page was a cluster of 3 stories from Google Scholar, followed by ten listings... and that's just on the first page. I never heard of an error msg like the one you received!
    This is the first time I've ever seen it, Islander.

Patty, I get odd messages too, and I'm wondering if, like mine, your computer needs an overhaul? Just a thought!

Thread Information