Thread: Nearsightedness to Affect Half the World; Absent in Hunter-Gatherers

Default Nearsightedness to Affect Half the World; Absent in Hunter-Gatherers

Emily Wade
    June 16, 2017

Nearsightedness, or myopia, is on the rise. Scientists project that half of the world will require corrective lenses by 2050. Hunter-gatherers do not get myopia and provide answers as how to prevent it through a natural lifestyle.

Myopia affects 13 million children worldwide with about half of them living in China, but a new study states that myopia is absent in undisturbed hunter-gatherers. The study showed that “hunter-gatherers maintained high visual acuity throughout life, whereas agrarian visual acuity declined.” Researchers linked the phytochemical-rich diet of hunter-gathers to their lack of myopia.

Read more: http://thinkaboutnow.com/2017/06/nea...ter-gatherers/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Nearsightedness to Affect Half the World; Absent in Hunter-Gatherers

We spend an inordinate amount of time looking at these "up close"......TV, computer screens, phone screens, reading tablets, etc. etc. We are not using our eyes to see long distances for long periods of time. What's the old adage?.....If you don't use it, you'll lose it."

Default Re: Nearsightedness to Affect Half the World; Absent in Hunter-Gatherers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    We spend an inordinate amount of time looking at these "up close"......."
    Yes, and articles like this remind me to look out of the window at the distant trees every 15-20 minutes when I'm on the computer or reading. But then tomorrow I'll forget yet again!

@Julieanne: New habits are harder to implement. When I want to remind myself to do something, I send myself "reminder emails" at the end of everyday. So, that's the first thing I see when I check email the next day. Even then, I still forget sometimes. Lol. But, after a few days, the new habit takes hold. Good luck at looking out the window more. I envy you because my computer is in a room without windows.

Haha. I tried to implement a new habit: set the timer and get up from the computer every 15 minutes. (There are days when I'm required to spend a lot of time on line).
    Guess how long that lasted.

Rich maternal diet may well be a factor in good vision in hunter-gatherers. Another may be natural selection. The myopic kids would be much more likely to step on scorpions, fail to see snakes, fall into pits...

I'm severely myopic. My mother was on the edge of starvation throughout her pregnancy with me. At one point, she and my grandmother had no food at all for three days. However, my biological father, whose mother was always very well nourished, is also extremely myopic.

Natural selection seems an obvious explanation for why myopia would not be selected for. Yet with all our vaccines and medical intervention and sanitation, we are defeating the role of natural selection. I am an avid reader from childhood up to the last three minutes, and was wearing glasses from the age of 112 or so. Yet I also spent a lot of time outdoors. It's a mystery.
    I think one could spend a lifetime poring over the study of genetics/epigenetics. I wish I had another lifetime in which to do nothing but read!

Thread Information