Thread: Your Grandparents Experiences Can Affect Genes

Default Your Grandparents Experiences Can Affect Genes

April McCarthy
    June 23 2017

Studies of human populations suggest that our health and longevity could be affected by the diets and experiences of our grandparents. For example, studies of a small community in northern Sweden where detailed historical records were kept found correlations between food availability for one generation and the mortality rate for that generation's grandchildren.

But the exact nature of these effects and how they are transmitted across generations remain unclear. In Susan Strome's lab at UC Santa Cruz, research on a tiny roundworm called C. elegans is helping to solve this puzzle.

Read more: http://preventdisease.com/news/17/06...m_medium=email

Default Re: Your Grandparents Experiences Can Affect Genes

"Some of these studies suggest that the effects of extreme stress can be passed on, causing offspring or "grand-offspring" to be more prone to anxiety or mental illness."

I thought the above had been proven already by studies based on descendants of holocaust survivors and descendants of enslaved peoples.

So the next generations of kids are going to be exponentially sicker.

bmc, Suzanne may correct me but I don't think these epigenetic changes are forever. More than a single generation, but not forever. And don't forget, there are positive incidents and effects that help to balance the losses.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

As far as I know, epigenetic tags transmit for three generations; potentially, they could last longer, but I'd expect their effects to be weakened as gene mixing increases with successive matings. Of course, if people who've undergone the same traumatic experiences continue to partner and produce children within group, the tags may become more powerful as they concentrate.

The real problem is knowing what epigenetic changes may have occurred. Many people haven't a clue about their grandparents' lives. I only met one of my four grandparents, have managed to get some rather bare information about another two, and still know nothing of value about my maternal grandfather.

To my way of thinking, the best way to approach these questions is simple awareness: how do I personally react to environmental stimuli? It is comforting and empowering to find out why, but the how is more important, both in how do I react, and how am I going to optimize my response to my reaction so I can live the best life possible? Then there's compassion, for myself as well as for others, which becomes more important to me as I get older.

Excellent post, good advice. And so true about grandparents. I know almost nothing of mine; one died before I was born, and there were few opportunities to ask aunts and uncles.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information