Thread: Authorities Seize and Destroy Woman’s Survival Garden

Default Authorities Seize and Destroy Woman’s Survival Garden

This is just one more in a long series of assaults on individuals who are independent and responsible enough to garden and feed themselves. I want to dedicate a forum to these incidents since they are widespread and far too common. Remember the Rawsome co-op in CA? Or Baker's Green Acres in MI? The communal garden in Texas that was shredded because LEOs apparently couldn't tell tomatoes from marijuana? The Vermont sheepbreeder whose flock was destroyed because of a wrongful accusation of scrapie? The list goes on and on.

Robert Richardson
    June 14, 2017

A woman from Tulsa, Oklahoma is suing the city’s code enforcement teams after they illegally cut down her entire survival garden. Denise Morrison, who started the garden after becoming unemployed, had over 100 medicinal and edible plants in her front and back yard.
    She told local Tulsa reporters that she started her garden after becoming unemployed as a way to feed herself and treat a variety of medical issues. Instead of relying on government handouts, this woman took matters into her own hands and decided to become self-sufficient. She filled her yard with things like fruit trees, berries, nut trees, and a wide variety of edible and medicinal herbs. She used these herbs to treat her diabetes, high-blood pressure, and arthritis.

Read more: https://offgridsurvival.com/survival...danddestroyed/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Authorities Seize and Destroy Woman’s Survival Garden

Any idea what would be the rationale behind this? Was the garden in front of the house? (Not that it would be a good reason, just wondering). This is truly insane in the 'Home of the brave, the land of the free'.

Aaaargh, don't get me going. Big government abuse can come from any level; municipal, county, state/provincial, or federal/national, whether from the left or right, hence my libertarian attitudes. (lower case "l", non political, HH compliant :-) )

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    Any idea what would be the rationale behind this? Was the garden in front of the house?
    According to the story, she had been super focused on making sure everything conformed to the town ordinances. She absolutely went by the book — their book. And they still destroyed the place, violating their own rules and regulations.

Total overreach! I'm glad she's suing the city. Hope she has quality legal team. She should win this one easily. When I read "survival garden," I thought about all the "food survival kit" offers I've received lately. A 4-week supply of survival food (147 meals) for $197. Or, a 3-month supply for $497. All of sudden, everybody's into the survival food "kit" business. What's up with that? Did I miss a doomsday announcement?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    Total overreach! I'm glad she's suing the city. Hope she has quality legal team. She should win this one easily. When I read "survival garden," I thought about all the "food survival kit" offers I've received lately. A 4-week supply of survival food (147 meals) for $197. Or, a 3-month supply for $497. All of sudden, everybody's into the survival food "kit" business. What's up with that? Did I miss a doomsday announcement?
    Actually, these food survival and preservation ads have been around for quite a while, especially in various prepper, gardening/agricultural and survivalist periodical publications. I even hear former TX congressman Ron Paul doing ads on political talk radio about 25 year food preservation through freeze drying. Then there is also all those vacuum sealer one can buy at Wally to further extend food storage in the fridge and freezer:

http://www.insidesources.com/ron-pau...lenn-beck-ads/

https://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7830...ews/B0009XQUK2 uses non-proprietary bags

I believe there's been a large cult of doom-seers in the US for a long time. The calamity changes as time passes but there is always something catastrophic lurking in the distance. I'm one who has quantities of staples stored— things like oats and rice and quinoa and dry beans. I've been through many power outages, some extended, and I'm also thinking about natural disasters and social upheaval that could interrupt the food supply chain for weeks at a time. I certainly have not bought any "kit"!

You're right....the doom-seers have been around for a long time. It just seems I'm getting inundated with "survival food Kit" offers all of sudden. Thought maybe I had missed a particular doomsday warning. Lol. I keep canned, organic veggies, and canned wild salmon, tuna, and sardines on hand for disasters. I store stuff I can eat right out the can, in case there's no power or clean water to cook or heat anything. Ordinarily, I don't eat canned goods. So, once a year I donate most of the canned goods to the U.S. Postal Service's annual food drive, and then restock whatever I've donated. I also store about 8 gallons of "filtered" water in a second refrigerator, in case the water supply dries up. I cycle the water periodically so it doesn't sit too long. My plan is to have enough food & water to last a couple of weeks. After that, well..................???

I dug up half of our front yard and planted a vegetable/herb garden. The other half is fruit trees. My city has no problem with it. Everyone one of my neighbors got a head of broccoli and a bunch of lettuce. I get a lot of compliments.
    I guess I might be a doomsayer, myself. We have a year's worth of freeze dried food, lentils, beans and rice. We also have a Berkey water system. Lots of long term storage heirloom seeds in the basement fridge. Ample ways to defend ourselves. No I'm not a paranoid, frightened person, I'm an old Eagle Scout...."Be prepared" or sempre paratus. Be it a another Carrington event, a massive internet failure, or social upheaval, etc. I intend to carry on. Just turned 70, no one is going to cheat me out of my dotage
    mitakuye oyasin na akita mani yo!

Mr. Wiz, something recently changed — loosened up — regarding the personal information that ISPs and other sources can legally collect and sell. Following that change in privacy laws, I've seen my email spam triple. They might even look at our search history, Google or otherwise, to get clues about what might interest us. Except for Forbes, which made me whitelist them in order to read articles, I never see ads because I use Google AdBlock plus.

Now, over a year ago I made inquiries about ways and means to lower my mortgage interest rate. I never did follow up on it, but suddenly my inbox brings me more mortgage-busting offers every morning. So if at some time in the past you may have looked at something about survival food, some entrepreneur is looking at you as another mark.

Stephen, I'm 76 and preparing for hip replacements. By the Great Googly-Moogly, I don't intend to have a dotage! I think it's wonderful what you have done to your front yard, and the broccoli and lettuce were touches of genius!
    Last edited by Islander; 07-09-17 at 09:10 PM.

In our area, we do not have to use too much imagination to picture the doom scenario. In 1989, Hurricane Hugo demolished Saint Croix, to the extent that few habitable buildings remained, no trees were left standing, and of course utility electrical power was not restored for another six months or so. At that time, very few homeowners had invested in generators; even now a generator will need its fuel replenished well before the power comes back on. So building codes were revised, almost all insurance companies fled and have stayed away for all of these years, and although some homes and commercial buildings have been rebuilt, many Hugo ruins remain in the towns and all over the countryside.

So yes, to dried and canned food. Following a disaster, fresh food will be a long time from planting until harvest. If the hypothetical future hurricane (could happen this year) takes place anywhere between Florida and here, no imported food will be available, as shipping and air transport will have come to a halt. Currently I am sitting on almost 30,000 gallons of rain water in the cistern, but the water pump does run on electricity, as does the fridge. I surely wish that I had the dollars to install an off the grid solar panel system with an efficient battery bank, but for some reason, I am fresh out of about $30,000 that I was quoted to have such a thing installed.

[QUOTE=Maurya;77498] "Currently I am sitting on almost 30,000 gallons of rain water in the cistern,..." & "...fresh out of about $30,000 that I was quoted to have such a thing installed."

30K gals is pretty huge for a home owner, was that a typo, where you were thinking $30K??? I used to maintain, repair, and stockpile 12K gallons of diesel fuel for a fulltime operational generator power house on one my remote mountaintop radio sites in se AZ, and just that one, single walled fuel tank at that time was appx 8' X 30' horizontal, and then eventually, (and currently) replaced by another double wall 10K gal horizontal tank of about the same outer dimensions, so I'm quite familiar of how much outdoor space that these tanks can take up.

Typo or not, I/we would be very interested in hearing more about your, (or your community) water storage system infrastructure in St Croix. And here is one of my favorite, low cost, easy to install, maintain, and repair, above ground, airlift water pumping systems, 5 part website videos, that relies greatly on above ground, easy to access water pumping equipment with a vented (non-pressurised), water storage tank(s) (or cisterns), and which could easily be adapted to solar electricity or wind power. Google search <airlift water pumping Elgin, TX>. Here is part 1 of 5: airlift water pumping Elgin, TX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVC-z3GyLk8
    Last edited by grulla; 07-10-17 at 08:56 AM.

grulla: Nope, the nominal capacity of my cistern is 30,000 gallons. In reality it probably does not contain quite that much, as there is some sediment in the bottom, and it is not quite full to overflowing at present, but it is plenty of water for the foreseeable future. Our houses are built with a cistern where your cellar might be in your house. (Few residential areas in Saint Croix have municipal water service, and those that do have the piping to their homes tell us that the water is undrinkable, much like Flint Michigan. I have seen some disgusting photographs.). This is part of the reason why homes cost so much to build; every individual home must have its own cistern and water pumping system, its own septic system, and must be built to withstand hurricanes.

My home is decades old, and would not pass modern building code standards; for example the roof in a house built today must have an overhang no greater than six inches. The roof generally is the first thing to go in a hurricane, then everything in the house gets sucked out. Think about the folklore pictures of cows being swirled around in a tornado. That's the way it works.

"grulla: Nope, the nominal capacity of my cistern is 30,000 gallons." WOW, that is awesome! The improved water storage facility I hope to build someday, is to carve a below ground notch cellar shelter on/in a 80' appx high hilltop on my property in order to place 3 (isolatable from each other for possible repairs) 2500 gal PE tanks (total of 7500 gals) in tandem. These PE tanks are always in stock locally from Tractor Supply Co. (TSC). Water pressure from gravity is 1 PSI (lbs/sq. inch) for every 2'3" of elevation which should supply a minimum, steady 30-40 PSI of water pipe pressure.

ht
    tps://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/water-storage-tank-2-500-gal

Thread Information