Thread: Cassava: Benefits and Dangers

Default Cassava: Benefits and Dangers

Because there's been some talk about my favorite vegetable.

Brianna Elliott, RD
    March 24, 2017

Cassava is a root vegetable widely consumed in developing countries. It provides some important nutrients and resistant starch, which may have health benefits. On the other hand, cassava can have dangerous effects, especially if it is eaten raw and in large amounts.This article will explore the unique properties of cassava to determine if it’s a healthy and safe food for you to include in your diet.

Read more: https://authoritynutrition.com/cassava/

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Cassava: Benefits and Dangers

Perhaps some of these factors might account for my dislike of cassava, the variety and/or the preparation. Our local variety of cassava surely must be one of the heat resistant and drought resistant varieties, but I would have no clue how to find out exactly which variety is grown here. As for the preparation, perhaps I just don't care for the manner the Singh's Fast Food prepares their cassava dishes. I never have had the desire to prepare cassava at home for myself, as there are too many other carbohydrate foods that I already know that I enjoy eating.

Veteran Member

In Brazil, cassava (called mandioca in its whole form) is very popular, though not as popular as rice. A while back I quit eating gluten, to see if it'd help me lose weight (it didn't, but I'm going to continue to avoid it, except in an occasional beer or once-in-a-blue-moon hamburger bun). But I wanted a substitute for bread for my grilled cheese sandwiches.

So I tried this amazing form of cassava called "goma de tapioca." It's not like the tapioca we know. It's sort of like a meal, a tad moist if you get the fresh kind, which we do. You sift it or not, your choice, and them pat a few tablespoons into a hot cast iron frying pan till it covers the bottom. I make mine quite thin. It immediately becomes a solid chapati-type thing! Put a little salt on it if you want, then grated or thinly sliced cheese. You cook it a few minutes, then fold one half over, and it's done. So quick and easy! And yummy. People make with without cheese, too. Banana w/cinnamon is a favorite. You can fill it with pretty much whatever you like, really. It still amazes me how this meal just sticks together and makes such a good little container for the melty cheese!
    Last edited by Julieanne; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:59 PM.

Love the sound of that Patty, but doubt if I could buy it here. I have heard of tapioca flour, but this sounds different.

Right, Ima try Amazon.

OK, found this, $9 for just under a pound, but the reviews say it smells like soap. I may try a different, pricier brand.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bela-Chef-Tap...oma+de+tapioca
    Last edited by Islander; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:44 PM.

Veteran Member

Wish I could send you some of the organic stuff we get at the organic farmers' market. It costs the equivalent of just over $3 (US) for half a kilo (a tad over one pound) and it's organic, and the fresh kind. Have to keep it in the fridge, as do those who sell it. The grocery stores here have the longer-lasting stuff, but not organic.

Pattypans, would you please look at this page with many examples of goma de tapioca, and suggest which one might behave like the one you use?
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...oma+de+tapioca

Veteran Member

First, Islander, my input may be only partially helpful because I’ve never had the sort of goma de tapioca offered here—the kind that can sit on a shelf, unrefrigerated, and not spoil. But here goes:

1. As you already mentioned, I wouldn’t buy the one that someone says smells like soap. Unrefrigerated or not, and notwithstanding what someone else commented on that review, I can’t imagine it should smell like soap. The fresh kind certainly doesn’t—even when left too long in the fridge and beginning to have spots of mold! It doesn’t have much, if any smell.

2. The “Amafil” brand (https://www.amazon.com/Amafil-Tapioc...A0NMB3W2P&th=1) should act like I’ve explained. It only has one review, but that reviewer seems to know about Brazilian tapioca and gave it 5 stars. Since it’s from Brazil, it’d be interesting to know the use by date. Also, the package says it’s enough for five portions, but those would be portions made in a very large frying pan or round grill. The same amount for us makes a lot more portions than that. We make ours in a very small cast iron frying pan, and usually have two each for a light dinner. (I also make them as thin as possible.)

This too is the same stuff, different brand: https://www.amazon.com/Brazoka-Gosti...4PN89A0NMB3W2P

I followed some of the other links on the page you url’ed, and didn’t see anything that seemed the same to me.

Sorry for the wordiness. BOTTOM LINE: the only two possibilities worth trying, imo, are at the two links found in #2 above.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 1 Week Ago at 08:19 AM. Reason: Trying to get spaces!

Veteran Member

Eureka! I finally got spaces between the paragraphs! Sorry about the all caps in last paragraph: I did that before I got the spacing right, and just wanted to make it easier to find.

Thanks so much for this! I really want to try it.

Veteran Member

You're more than welcome. One more tip: Some people say you should sift it. It does come out a little more delicate, maybe crispier, when you sift it before putting it in the pan. But it's not necessary. It's up to you. It is possible that it goes a little further if you sift it. I used to sift it every time; now I don't usually. The older I get, the more bare-bones I get with chores, lol.

When I asked the people who make the tapiocas on the spot at the organic farmers' market, they told me they don't sift the goma, but that I could if I wanted to make extra work for myself. They do a brisk business! Let me know how it turns out for you!

My bank account has just reached the level where I can place an Amazon order, so I'll give it a whirl and let you know. Do. Not. Need. Extra. Work!

Thread Information