Thread: A Wisconsin company offers to implant remote-control microchips in its employees

Default A Wisconsin company offers to implant remote-control microchips in its employees

Gene Marks July 24, 2017

Would you ask an employee to get a microchip implanted in her hand? Sounds invasive and intrusive.
    But come Aug. 1, one company in Wisconsin will be giving it a try.

Three Square Market — a developer of software used in vending machines — is offering all of its
    employees the option to get a microchip implanted between the thumb and forefinger. It’s quick,
    painless and the company will even pick up the $300 fee. And don’t worry — there’s no GPS tracking
    capability … yet. The company is expecting 50 of its employees to voluntarily sign up for the implants.

Read on at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/digger/wp/2017/07/24/a-u-s-company-offers-to-implant-chips-in-its
    -employees/?utm_term=.5eddac0ce2ea

Default Re: A Wisconsin company offers to implant remote-control microchips in its employees

The conversation about RFID chips has been going on for a long time — over 15 years, to my certain knowledge. About 5 years ago, all new passports were chipped (and no, you can't smash them with a hammer or kill them in your microwave). Every so often the concept reemerges, and some benefit is usually been promoted, such as access to locked doors or tracking of elderly people with dementia. Chipped pets are known to develop cancerous nodules at the site of the locator chip.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: A Wisconsin company offers to implant remote-control microchips in its employees

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    The conversation about RFID chips has been going on for a long time — over 15 years, to my certain knowledge.... Chipped pets are known to develop cancerous nodules at the site of the locator chip.
    Even many years longer, all railroad rolling stock has been "tagged" with two "bricks", one on each side, since at least the early 90s, for the purpose of tracking shipments. Even industrial RR customers had/have computer access to the RR's AEI (automatic equipment identification) data bank. I had 3 of the AEI detectors in my RR maintenance district to maintain and repair.

The RFID tags usually don't require any externally wire connected power to work, rather they derive their power from the radio frequency (RF) energy directed at them, then change that energy to another frequency to be bounced back at the base radio trackside, roadside, or pedestrian transceiver.

Stores like Wally, place a simple looking squiggled wire in a high risk theft commodity to help detect shop lifting.
    Thanks for the under-skin warning about tags, as I was considering a tag in my dog...not. I see the possibility and potential for huge (Orwellian) privacy issues and mis/abuse with this technology.
    Last edited by grulla; 07-26-17 at 07:26 AM.

Right, RFID chips are the size of a grain of rice. The potential for misuse is frightening. Initial conversations, years ago, referred to "the mark of Cain" and so forth.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

In my humble opinion, this is definitely a slippery slope. Sorry, but I would not allow myself to be "chipped."

Thread Information