Thread: Australian Honey Proves To Be A Powerful Anti--bacterial Treatment

Default Australian Honey Proves To Be A Powerful Anti--bacterial Treatment

University Of Queensland
    March 1 2011

Honey sourced from an Australian native myrtle tree has been found to have the most powerful anti-bacterial properties of any honey in the world and could be used to treat antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections that commonly occur in hospitals and nursing homes.
    A Brisbane-based research group found that Australian native myrtle honey has very high levels of the anti-bacterial compound, Methylglyoxal (MGO), and outperforms all medicinal honeys currently available on the market, including Manuka honeys.

Read more: https://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/2...rial-treatment

Default Re: Australian Honey Proves To Be A Powerful Anti--bacterial Treatment

Honey is an amazing nutrient used to heal all types of wounds for thousands of years. Although sweet and tasty, it contains antioxidants, ascorbic acid, tocopherols (vit. E), ellagic acid, etc. etc. The aloe plant has quite the reputation for its healing properties, but honey is a pretty decent healer too.

I was curious as to whether any hospitals are using medicinal honey. The best I could come up with was this: "Manuka honey is so effective that “medicinal grade” honey is used in some hospitals to treat MRSA and other bacterial infections."

From another site: "The researchers also say that honey has been shown to exhibit “broad-spectrum” antimicrobial activity, being able to act upon more than 80 species of pathogen. They point towards previous research that has demonstrated that honey can inhibit pathogens normally capable of causing wound infection, including strains that are resistant to conventional antibiotics. They also highlight the growing number of clinical reports that have shown that wound infections (including those infected with MRSA) can be cleared by the topical application of manuka honey." However, there's this: "...the researchers point out there is some reluctance to use these products because the way honey works to fight infection (its mechanism of action) is not known." https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinica...028704.article

Actually, in looking around for hospital use I did in fact come across an explanation for its medicinal action, but reviewing the sites I read, I couldn't find it again. And none of the articles my search brought up mentioned the Myrtle tree honey.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I don't know why they referred to it as 'myrtle tree', as it is just another variety of leptospermum, like Manuka. It's more commonly known as tea tree.

A friend of my ex-husband cured a leg ulcer using Manuka honey - ulcers are notoriously difficult to treat. As for the mechanism of action, I seem to recall reading that no-one understood how aspirin worked for many years, but that didn't stop people using it!

Confusion reigns. I always thought that another name for manuka honey was tea tree honey....
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information