Thread: A Comprehensive Guide To The New Science Of Treating Lower Back Pain

Default A Comprehensive Guide To The New Science Of Treating Lower Back Pain

Julia Belluz
    August 4 2017

A review of 80-plus studies upends the conventional wisdom.

Cathryn Jakobson Ramin’s back pain started when she was 16, on the day she flew off her horse and landed on her right hip. For the next four decades, Ramin says her back pain was like a small rodent nibbling at the base of her spine. The aching left her bedridden on some days and made it difficult to work, run a household, and raise her two boys.

By 2008, after Ramin had exhausted what seemed like all her options, she elected to have a “minimally invasive” nerve decompression procedure. But the $8,000 operation didn’t fix her back, either. The same pain remained, along with new neck aches.

Read more: https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...vs-alternative
    Last edited by Julieanne; 1 Week Ago at 07:41 AM.

Default Re: A Comprehensive Guide To The New Science Of Treating Lower Back Pain

This is timely indeed since it's exactly what I'm going through right now. To recap: I have been dealing with increasing hip pain that seriously limited my walking. I finally went to my PCP, who sent me to x-ray. The diagnosis came back as advanced osteoarthritis. Sure looked like hip replacements. The next step was referral to an orthopedic surgeon, who showed me the x-rays to demonstrate that my hips were in pretty good shape; the problem was "referred" pain from my back. So I was "referred" to physical therapy (PT). I've had three appointments; the first was mostly an assessment, along with eight exercises I was to perform twice a day. This has been a busy month and I have, so far, never had time to do them more than once a day... but the results have been remarkable! They get easier each time, but more importantly, they have made an enormous difference in pain level and mobility. In a mere three weeks, while I am not yet pain-free, I took the cats for a 20-minute walk for the first time since early spring.

A few days ago I picked up the June issue of Consumer Reports from the library because the cover story was on back pain. The main point: there's a major movement away from surgery and drugs, and toward alternative methods. According to their research, the most effective practices, in descending order, were yoga or tai chi; massage therapy; chiropractic; physical therapy; neurosurgery; acupuncture; orthopedic surgery; primary care doctor; and rheumatologist, with the treatments ranging from 89% to 61%. In other words, my personal experience mirrors this article almost word for word. PT works!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: A Comprehensive Guide To The New Science Of Treating Lower Back Pain

I'm so glad to hear you've found something that works, Islander, and are feeling better. This is a great (and long--I'm about half-way through) article, and good news that regular docs are beginning to see the light.

My chiropractor has physical therapists who work on you before he sees you (at the same appointment.) He himself also usually does more than simply adjust the spine and other areas. (legs, hips, etc.) And he 'prescribes' exercises for your specific problem/s. He has an amazing understanding of referred pain, and how the different part of your body work together.

Patty, I do envy you, your chiropractor sounds wonderful! The guy I used to go to was OK, but the improvements only seemed to last a day or so, and he never recommended exercises, so I stopped.

The best result I had was from deep massage, given by a trained nurse who had 30 years experience as a masseuse. She was a LETS (our local barter system) member and I was able to trade, with only a little cash. I would have continued, but she turned out to be bat shit crazy, so unfortunately that was that. I found out later from other members she had definite mental problems .

Now I have a referral from my doc to see a physiotherapist, so I'm hoping I get the same results as Islander.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 1 Week Ago at 01:51 AM.

Veteran Member

Yep, Julieanne, he's a real jewel. Have you made an appointment already? When will you be going? I hope you have wonderful results.

Next week, with any luck, but I may have to wait longer.

Exercise--specifically "stretching" exercises--are great for lower back pain. An old trick I learned from my martial arts days involves stretching the lower back while lying on your back. Before getting out of bed in the morning, I bend one leg at a time, pulling the knee as close to the chest as possible. I do this about 3 times each leg. I can actually feel the tension leave my lower back, as the muscles relax and the blood flow increases. I start most days with this exercise. Lower back feels great all day.

Yup. I have to assume some odd poses but they are working magic on my back! I wish someone had pointed me in this direction years ago.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information