Thread: Watercress Blocks Cancer And DNA Damage

Default Watercress Blocks Cancer And DNA Damage

Case Adams
    August 9 2017

Increasing evidence is finding that watercress inhibits the development of cancer in the body. As the research has matured, active anticancer compounds in watercress are getting more attention among researchers.

Cancer development in smokers is slowed

Researchers from the University of Minnesota tested 82 smokers for what is called NNK activation. NNK is a carcinogen - long form is also known as 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone.

Read more: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/wat...and-dna-damage

Default Re: Watercress Blocks Cancer And DNA Damage

I can't seem to get watercress to grow and thrive. I may not have the damp conditions it requires. Never see it in produce departments!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I can't seem to get watercress to grow and thrive. I may not have the damp conditions it requires. Never see it in produce departments!
    Islander, I too find it to be difficult to cultivate. I remember as a kid walking around the vast fields in the wild that had small streams flowing, the watercress would grow wild in them. Maybe it requires flowing water rather than standing water?

There is another variety called "land cress" which is what we are more likely to find in the markets around here, it has the same bitter taste but who knows if it has the same medicinal properties, since no one is testing for that. Still, I always look for it when food shopping, since I truly enjoy the taste, either alone or mixed into salads. Wonder if you can buy it online? I'll research...

Watercress pops up every year and grows prolifically during winter, our wet season. But this year the seedlings have stayed tiny and not 'taken off'', which is most unusual. They may get there yet, but very slowly.

Ora, you are right, it does prefer flowing water, but will grow very well in good soil. I grow it in a polystyrene vegetable box - they are given away at markets. It needs wide rather than deep space to grow. A couple of years I kept it going during our hot summers, as long as I watered it daily.

The land cress I sowed has also been disappointing. I wonder what's going on? I have occasionally seen watercress for sale, but never land cress. They are not related in any way (watercress is in the brassica family) so I doubt it has any of the same properties.

Julie, have growing conditions been different this year? They certainly have here: cold wet extended spring followed by another summer of drought. Everything is coming along very late, and the chickens ate my young pole beans. Life on the farm: always unpredictable!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Julie, have growing conditions been different this year?
    They sure have! June, July and August are usually our wettest months, but this was the driest June on record, followed by unrelenting rain and cold (for us) weather). I start my seedlings for next season indoors, then in an unheated greenhouse to grow. So little sun this year they grew tall and skinny and I have had to start again. It's officially spring in about two weeks, but Nature doesn't respect dates!

Thread Information