Thread: Help!!!

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Default Help!!!

I recently loaned my car to someone. I think she treated it well. When she returned it (since i don't currently drive), i left it sitting in the drive for about a week. It has been in the high 70s (F) and low 80s here, so the interior of the car has gotten hot. I got in the car yesterday and discovered she'd used a hanging, commercial "air freshener." I was shocked because she knows how careful i am in our house not to use scents or chemicals.

I removed the toxic thing, but we got in the car today to take it on a short trip. It still reeks from the scent. We took the car about 2 miles and turned around and brought it back and changed out the cars. Duane is talking about selling it because of the scent. He gets very sick with these things, whereas i can handle them a while although i get a headache. I also woke up today with a cough and a lot of phlegm.

I put it in the garage with the windows open and a couple of plates with baking soda in it, but it seems, so far, just to be making my garage stink. Does anyone have good ways to remove this chemical disaster? I don't want to sell my car! Thank you.

Default Re: Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Katee View Post
    I put it in the garage with the windows open and a couple of plates with baking soda in it, but it seems, so far, just to be making my garage stink. Does anyone have good ways to remove this chemical disaster? I don't want to sell my car! Thank you.
    Try lighting a match and quickly blow it out right after it ignites, blowing slowly with your mouth wide open with blunted breathe, (as opposed to pointed breathe) in order to create much smoke, which are microscopic carbon particulates that will absorb odors, similar to a carbon water filter.
    Last edited by grulla; 08-13-17 at 09:46 AM.

Baking soda is a good idea. But, it works faster if you leave the car outside in the sunshine with the windows only partially cracked. The sunshine will heat up or "bake out" the chemicals "faster," and then the baking soda will absorb it. Heat goes up and so will the smelly chemicals. So, put the baking soda up high, like in the back window and in the front window above the steering wheel. Also, place the baking soda in a large, flat container, like a wide tupperware container or a thin, wide pan used to make a "sheet cake," so you can spread out the baking soda. A thin layer of baking soda--somewhere around a half inch deep or less--absorbs odors faster than a box of baking soda. **Also, if you don't mind the smell of coffee, coffee beans work like baking soda, but the smell is much nicer....well to me anyway. Place coffee beans in a mesh bag or you can spread them out in a "sheet cake type pan." Place up high. Coffee grounds work well too...just a bit messy. Whether baking soda or coffee beans, you do want the windows cracked to allow some chemicals to escape. Lastly, much of the odor is probably in the roof (ceiling) of the car. If you don't mind the smell of vinegar, you may want to dilute some vinegar with water and wipe down the ceiling of the car, and the seats too for that matter. Leather and cloth seats alike absorb odors. So, a damp vinegar/water cloth can be used to wipe away any surface odors that may linger on the seats and carpeting on the floor. Hope this helps. Please don't get rid of your car... the smell will eventually dissipate. I did all these things as a college kid when I purchased my first car from a relative who was a heavy smoker. Whew the smoke smell was crazy. But, within a few weeks, I got rid of the smell.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Thank you, both, so much. I'm willing to try all and everything at this point.

Thread Information