Thread: Real RDA for Vitamin D is 10 Times Higher Than Currently Recommended

Default Real RDA for Vitamin D is 10 Times Higher Than Currently Recommended

Dr. Robert Heaney
    February 2015

Heaney, former research director for GrassrootsHealth, was interviewed by Dr. Joseph Mercola about the current US RDA for vitamin D. Most vitamin D researchers disagree with the current RDA, citing it is too low, and Heaney does a great job of explaining that position.
    In the beginning of the interview, Heaney mentions that institutions move with glacial slowness. So, we need to act now for our own benefit. The good news is that for a single person or a single medical practice, this is relatively easy. You find out your vitamin D level and adjust your supplements or sun exposure to get within 40-60 ng/ml (100-150 nmol/L). Many doctors, after they have seen a few patients with success using higher doses of vitamin D, learn to use it for their entire practice.

Read more: http://www.grassrootshealth.net/blog...y-recommended/

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Real RDA for Vitamin D is 10 Times Higher Than Currently Recommended

Vitamin D is not actually a vitamin. It's technically a hormone (calcitriol), according to the Vitamin D Council. The amount of D supplements needed depends on so many different things, like your daily intake of calcium and other minerals, etc. I do supplement vit. D mostly in winter months, and I test twice a year. I try to stay around 40 ng/ml., which is still above normal for most people. I'm not sure supplementing to get in the range of 80 - 100 ng/ml. will prove to be safe...long term. IMHO.

Default Re: Real RDA for Vitamin D is 10 Times Higher Than Currently Recommended

I've been keeping mine pretty consistently at 80, mostly from direct sun on my torso all summer. Feeling fine, never sick.

My main concern about high doses of Vit D3 is that it needs to be accompanied specifically with adequate amounts of Vit K2, MK7 (nattokinase) to help prevent misappropriated calcium. Magnesium and zinc are another necessity for Vit D3 consumption also. http://www.nutritionaloutlook.com/jo...esium-and-zinc

ETA (Edited to add) that nattokinase is not any of the K vitamins. It's a proteolytic enzyme and its action has nothing to do with vitamin D.

Yes, many of us are deficient in magnesium, but normally get enough zinc in our diet, and certainly enough if taking a multi-vitamin/mineral.
    Last edited by Islander; 08-18-17 at 02:19 PM.

@grulla: I share your concern about "high doses" of D3. The term "high dose" is tricky, varying from person to person. In addition to the co-factor K2 (MK7) you mentioned, others like magnesium, vit. A, zinc, etc. are equally as important. And, the amount of vit. D3 must be balanced with all the other co-factors. Also, vit. D3 and vit. A are both "fat soluble" and should be eaten with a high quality fat, like coconut or olive oil, avocado, omega-3 fish oil, etc. Bottom line: supplementing with D3 requires "precision nutrition." One should not just pop down a few vit. D3 capsules after a meal, without ensuring that the other co-factors are all present and in the proper balance.

I have always had D3 levels in the 60-70 range and have always taken the appropriate co-factors. About half a year ago, I started taking Gabapentin, a nerve pain reliever, and my last lab came back with D3 at 38. Upon further research, I found that Gabapentin is a D3 mugger, and this fact is not listed as a side effect. I have since increased my summertime supplemental D3 (2000 IU) to my normal wintertime dosage (5000 IU). By the way, Grulla, I believe you might want to research the difference between natto and nattokinase. I would do it for you, but I am on an inferior laptop that has the speed of a snail with a stomach ache, as I am at a hotel in ABQ for some VA checkups.

ETA: I have corrected that misinformation to insure that there is no misunderstanding. Thanks for catching that, WR.
    Last edited by wr7476; 08-20-17 at 12:10 PM.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Grulla, re wr's comment above: "nattokinase is natto with the K2 removed", we have had this conversation before. What exactly are you taking re vitamin K2?

Think I may have mentioned before that I have some calcium in a coronary artery. I wonder if that was partly caused by taking D3 without K2? Magnesium I knew about, but until fairly recently was not aware of the need for K2.

Hello "wr", "Grulla, I believe you might want to research the difference between natto and nattokinase." It is my understanding that natto is the fermented soy, and that nattokinase is the (only) supplemental form that provides the very specific Vit K2, MK7 for blood thinning.

Hello "Julieanne", again, it is my understanding that nattokinase only supplies the MK7 version of Vit K2. I am currently getting my K2,MK7, 180 mcgs, from Mercola. I am considering also trying the supplemental nattokinase, especially if there is a significant difference between K2,MK7 and nattokinase that both you and "wr" are suggesting.

Bottomline, therefore nattokinase and SPECIFICALLY Vit. K2,MK7, are the same synonymous blood thinners, while
    other versions of Vit K1 or K2 are blood coagulators. I'm always open to suggestions and constructive criticism, so if you further think I'm wrong or overlooking something, please explain. Thanks to both of you and et al.

https://www.drsinatra.com/vitamin-k2...hy-circulation http://j-nattokinase.org/en/jnka_nattou_03.html

ETA: once more, nattokinase is not a blood thinner. It is an antifibrinogen and performs a very specific function: breaking down and consuming bloodclots and the accretion of calcium and plaque on blood vessels.
    Last edited by Islander; 08-18-17 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    @grulla: I share your concern about "high doses" of D3. The term "high dose" is tricky, varying from person to person. In addition to the co-factor K2 (MK7) you mentioned, others like magnesium, vit. A, zinc, etc. are equally as important. And, the amount of vit. D3 must be balanced with all the other co-factors. Also, vit. D3 and vit. A are both "fat soluble" and should be eaten with a high quality fat, like coconut or olive oil, avocado, omega-3 fish oil, etc. Bottom line: supplementing with D3 requires "precision nutrition." One should not just pop down a few vit. D3 capsules after a meal, without ensuring that the other co-factors are all present and in the proper balance.
    Hello "Mr.Wiz", In the summer of 2014, I had a Vit D level of 61. Last Feb, 2017, it was down to 32 with ultrasound reading of partially calcified carotids, and just last week. my bloodwork showed back up to 58. My intergrative doctor said to up the D3 from 2000IUs to 5000 IUs and I suntan a lot, so I want to make very sure that my Vit K2,MK7 connsumption is very adequate. Only MK7 and natto are blood thinners, while the other Vit Ks are blood co-agulators. See my below links to "Julie" and "wr".

"ETA: once more, nattokinase is not a blood thinner. It is an antifibrinogen and performs a very specific function: breaking down and consuming bloodclots and the accretion of calcium and plaque on blood vessels."

Apparently there are contradictions and confusion with some website sources:
    http://www.smart-publications.com/ar...-blood-thinner As you can see by this website title:"Nattokinase—The Natural Blood Thinner" It can get confusing, but this is EXACTLY the type of clarification I am seeking, so I will now, with a little further research, consider placing an order for nattokinase, probably above and beyond taking the Vit K2,MK7. Thanks.

PS: I almost missed your redletter corrections, as they did not appear on the "What's New?" front page, using the regular, normal response format.
    Last edited by grulla; 08-18-17 at 07:01 PM.

grulla, you are probably right re nattokinase not actually being a 'blood thinner', but it does help to keep the blood flowing, so I think calling it a thinner can be excused.

I thought this article from several weeks ago cleared up the natto/nattokinase/K2 question.

Will Nattokinase and K-2 Work Against Each Other If Taken Together?

Natto: If you compare the K2 content of cheese to that of natto, the Japanese fermented soy dish, you’ll find that natto contains the highest K2 concentration of any food: a whopping 250 mcg per ounce. So to get K2 from food, the number one source is natto. I should point out here that some readers have written in to ask if they’re getting K2 in their nattokinase supplement. The answer is no. Nattokinase is a great supplement (and it contains K1), but it’s made from only the enzyme found in natto. Nattokinase supplements do not include the K2 that is in the actual food.

Supplements: I recommend 150 mcg daily of K2 derived from MK-7.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/blog/...qs/question-v6

Props to Julieanne for her excellent memory! I think it would be safe to say that nattokinase facilitates the flow of blood, because it does not actually reduce viscosity.

Grulla says, "PS: I almost missed your redletter corrections..." That's probably because they are edits, not separate replies.

Thread Information