Thread: Contrary To Popular Belief, Dietary Calcium Does Not Prevent Bone Loss

Default Contrary To Popular Belief, Dietary Calcium Does Not Prevent Bone Loss

MARCO TORRES
    AUGUST 22, 2017

Dairy products, specifically milk is one of the beverages still aggressively pushed as a health promoting food, especially relating to strong bones. However, Bone Mineral Density (BMD) and rates of bone loss showed no association with dietary calcium intake in men, according to a recent study in British Journal of Nutrition.
    The dairy industry has been hard at work the last 50 years convincing people that pasteurized dairy products such as milk or cheese increase bioavailable calcium levels. Many studies have exposed this claim as being totally false. The pasteurization process only creates calcium carbonate, which has absolutely no way of entering the cells without a chelating agent. So what the body does is pull the calcium from the bones and other tissues in order to buffer the calcium carbonate in the blood. This process actually causes osteoporosis.

Read more: http://preventdisease.com/news/17/08...m_medium=email
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Contrary To Popular Belief, Dietary Calcium Does Not Prevent Bone Loss

Would you believe I had to make two grammatical corrections to those paragraphs because I couldn't stand to let the errors remain. There is nothing I can do to that disaster of an opening sentence other than a complete rewrite, so I left it alone.
    :: deep sigh ::

Anyway, doctors stated decisively, at least five years ago, that calcium supplements were counterproductive and we should be getting our calcium from real food, including those wonderful dark leafy greens. But look around at how often additional calcium supplementation is still being recommended.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Contrary To Popular Belief, Dietary Calcium Does Not Prevent Bone Loss

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Would you believe I had to make two grammatical corrections to those paragraphs because I couldn't stand to let the errors remain. There is nothing I can do to that disaster of an opening sentence other than a complete rewrite, so I left it alone.
    :: deep sigh ::

Anyway, doctors stated decisively, at least five years ago, that calcium supplements were counterproductive and we should be getting our calcium from real food, including those wonderful dark leafy greens. But look around at how often additional calcium supplementation is still being recommended.
    Never ask a barber if you need a haircut, even if you are bald. Glad I love the taste of leafy greens like kale, watercress, letus, mustard greens etc

IMHO, there are many reasons to supplement calcium, including "old age," diets high in protein, strenuous exercise that puts pressure on weight-bearing bones, like walking, jogging, etc., etc. Key point: as we age, the body becomes increasingly inefficient in its ability to absorb nutrition from food. So, unless the diet is exceedingly heavy in dark green, leafy veggies (think typical SAD diet for most Americans..burger & fries), supplementing is important. The key to supplementing calcium is including all the co-factors, which include magnesium (1:1), vit. K2, boron, vit. D3. The importance of vit. K2 is often overlooked; it is the "traffic cop," directing the calcium into the bones and away from soft tissue and the blood vessels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    IMHO, The importance of vit. K2 is often overlooked; it is the "traffic cop," directing the calcium into the bones and away from soft tissue and the blood vessels.
    More specifically, Vit K2,MK7 which is also an anticoagulant, whereas all the other Vit Ks are co-agulants. I used to supplement with coral calcium, believing it was on a similar par with unrefined sea sat, but since being diagnosed with ultrasound for carotid calcified arteries, I have eliminated most al dairy and all calcium supps, relying instead on th calcium and Vit K1 content of leafy greens like fresh organic spinach for my morning veggie omelet.

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    .".....I have eliminated most al dairy and all calcium supps, relying instead on th calcium and Vit K1 content of leafy greens like fresh organic spinach for my morning veggie omelet.
    grulla: As we age, our digestive system becomes very "inefficient" in converting vit. K1 in leafy green veggies into vit. K2. Also, some green leafy vegetables, like spinach, chard, & beet greens, contain high amounts of oxalates, which interfere with calcium absorption. Cooking green leafy veggies, as you are doing with the spinach in your omelet, helps to reduce some oxalates. However, some oxalates remain to bind with calcium, making it unavailable for absorption. Read more here:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/48...um-absorption/
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 08-29-17 at 04:41 PM.

Thread Information