Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot on Harvey’s Heels, Hurricane Irma Is Gathering Speed

Default Hot on Harvey’s Heels, Hurricane Irma Is Gathering Speed

Nathalie Baptiste
    Sep. 1, 2017

“You usually don’t see models predicting a Category 5.”

As Texas begins the long road to recovery after Hurricane Harvey made landfall as Category 4 storm last week, another storm is brewing in the Atlantic. Hurricane Irma is currently a Category 2 storm packing winds of 110 miles per hour, and we’re still days away from knowing if it will reach land or, mercifully, turn back out to sea. The National Hurricane Center is forecasting that Irma will remain powerful for days and meteorologists are already in awe of the storm’s potential strength, but it’s too soon to tell where the storm is headed. “I’m seeing some of the highest wind forecast that I’ve seen,” Michael Ventrice, a meteorological scientist, tells Mother Jones. What’s striking about Irma is how early the models have predicted its strength. “You usually don’t see models predicting a Category 5,” Ventrice says. “With regards to Harvey, we only had one to two days of knowing it would be a major storm.”

Read more: http://www.motherjones.com/environme...-need-to-know/
    Last edited by Islander; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:33 PM. Reason: formatting

Default Re: Hot on Harvey’s Heels, Hurricane Irma Is Gathering Speed

And here we are, sitting right in its path. Last time we had a Category 5 here was Hugo in 1989. There were some signs of recovery recently, and now Irma.

One thing I remarked on as I read the stories around Harvey was the lack of preparation in so many cases. Given all the uncertainty in today's world, including the possibility that heavy weather could take down the electric grid, a lot of people (not necessarily "preppers") have packed a "bug-out bag." I've had one (I call it my "go bag") for years. Hurricanes, floods, fires, I've been through all three. I've never been forced to leave home in a hurry, and I hope I never have to, but should the need arise, I'm prepared. What's in it? You can make your own list, and I'm sure there are lists on line. Working from memory, mine has fire-starting materials, flashlights, hunting knife, solar-powered radio/phone charger, first aid kit, trash bags, change of underwear and socks, personal hygiene items, tinfoil packets of food (that get rotated out periodically), that sort of thing.

In the case of Harvey, even though there was no mandatory evacuation, there was plenty of warning that severe weather was on the way, including heavy rainfall and flooding. Yet there were people on rooftops with no food or water, utterly unprepared, depending on strangers or the grace of God to be rescued. I can't understand it.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

IMHO, we tend to be better prepared around here, mostly because everybody knows that no "evacuations" will take place. There will be no ships at sea, no emergency flights, regular scheduled flights will be cancelled, etc. So the only "bugging out" that can be done would be to button up the house as well as possible, and flee to a neighbor's home that might seem to be more solidly build, if one has doubts about one's own home's ability to stay standing with roof intact. Losing one's roof in the hurricane is the biggest fear. FEMA once again seems to have forgotten that we exist. The weather guessers now are predicting a direct hit at Category 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    IMHO, we tend to be better prepared around here, mostly because everybody knows that no "evacuations" will take place. There will be no ships at sea, no emergency flights, regular scheduled flights will be cancelled, etc. So the only "bugging out" that can be done would be to button up the house as well as possible, and flee to a neighbor's home that might seem to be more solidly build, if one has doubts about one's own home's ability to stay standing with roof intact. Losing one's roof in the hurricane is the biggest fear. FEMA once again seems to have forgotten that we exist. The weather guessers now are predicting a direct hit at Category 5.
    Wow that's scary stuff Maurya, take care of yourself and yours and we'll be praying for your safety and your roof.

Are you one of the more solidly built homes? Hope so but do whatever it takes to survive, after those horrific images of the flooding and damage in Texas it just sinks in how dangerous these storms are. I remember when we went to Jamaica for our honeymoon many years ago, they'd just had a hurricane pass through and many palm trees looked more like phone poles, no tops or leaves left to them.
    Last edited by Ora Moose; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:32 AM.

Thank you Ora Moose. My house was built after Hugo and before Marilyn, so once I finish putting up all the shutters, it should survive all but the worst of storms. Everybody is solidly with each other here.

@Maurya: You and your neighbors are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you Mr. Wizard!

I hope for all the best, Maurya. It's good to know you have that huge cistern for potable water. I assume you are on high(er) ground, and not down by the sea???

My house is located part way up a hill. The rains are not what have us worried, it is the winds. Irma is a Category 4 so far, expected to become Category 5 by the time it arrives here.

If I'm reading this weather map report correctly, it appears that Irma has passed you by with minimal impact??? http://www.weather.gov/sju/ (Tab "Hurricane Irma" on the option bar.)

While I would not say "minimal impact", we definitely received less than the total devastation experienced in Saint Thomas, Saint John, BVI, Saint Barts, Saint Martin, Barbuda, etc. Over in Saint Thomas the hospital lost its roof and the top two floors were flooded. Just now a US Navy hospital ship is picking up patients from that hospital. Two police stations were lost, as well as two fire stations. Many people lost the roof from their house. Over here in Saint Croix, the roof stayed on my house, and only minor damage was done to the house. Major damage to the trees in my yard, which will have to grow back some day. People are working hard to repair the damage, and sending goods over to Saint Thomas in a relief effort. Some charter fishing boats are donating their services, and they are being loaded downtown at the boardwalk just now.

This will be a very long term recovery effort. Electrical power, of course, is gone for the foreseeable future, on all the islands. Usually my neighborhood is about the last one to benefit from the repair efforts, so it might be several weeks or so. Again, Saint Thomas and Saint John have it worse. Cell phone, internet, radio and TV stations, all are down, making communications difficult, especially over in Saint John.

Humor: The lime tree lost almost all of its limes, so I have been crawling around on the ground, picking up all the fruit.

I/we are glad to hear you came through the storm fairly well. Too bad though, about your fruit trees, and unfortunately without electricity, freezing those fallen limes is not possible. For those HH forum readers not familiar, here is what I'm referring to; https://www.hawkeshealth.net/communi...freezes+lemons

@Maurya: So happy to hear your roof survived and your home sustained minor damage. My prayers have been answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    @Maurya: So happy to hear your roof survived and your home sustained minor damage. My prayers have been answered.
    Amen

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information