Thread: 23 days In August: What On Earth Has Happened To Our Kids?

Default 23 days In August: What On Earth Has Happened To Our Kids?

J.B. HANDLEY
    August 25, 2017

Special education numbers for children in the developed world are off the charts. Schools are drowning with discipline issues, deadly allergies, expulsions, budget shortfalls, and stressed-out teachers. It’s an unmitigated disaster. Why is no one asking the most important question of all: where in the world did all these sick children come from?

Read more: https://medium.com/@jbhandley/23-day...s-d9ef148adb42

Default Re: 23 days In August: What On Earth Has Happened To Our Kids?

The author--a father of an autistic child--places the blame for increasing numbers of special needs children at the feet of vaccines. He may be correct from a worldwide perspective. But, in the U.S., I think it's much, much broader than just vaccines. Educational requirements are now so high that any child not placed in a pre-school setting by age 3 (K3) will be so far behind their peers by the time they begin kindergarten at age 5. These children--by definition--are labeled "special needs" students, having developmental delays in "communication (speech & language skills), emotional & social behaviors, etc." These kids are not truly special needs. They are just unlucky! But, we've raised standards so ridiculously high that children who are not fortunate enough to be exposed to pre-k classes at age 3 & 4 can't meet the reading and math requirements in kindergarten. IMHO, a large part of the increasing numbers of special needs children in the U.S. is self imposed.

It's not just vaccines - it seems modern kids live in a chemical soup that didn't exist when I was young. But from what I have read of the education system in the US, it puts enormous stress on children. I have watched docos where kids fall asleep on buses and at their desks, because the hours are so long and they have so much homework they never get enough sleep.

Compare this to Finland, which has the highest rated education system in the world, but kids don't start school till around seven. Scroll down past the first paragraph.

http://www.finland.org.au/public/def...&culture=en-US

I believe Finland has it right!! U.S. students need more "creativity & innovation" in their curriculum, and less learning by rote!

I agree with what's been said overall, but I'd have to add that children of poverty do indeed become "special needs" kids because what they lack goes far beyond what they may have missed in pre-school. They are often raised in a single-parent family where the adult s either trying to hold down multiple jobs to get by, or the adult is struggling with alcohol or drug addiction. Children from these environments are malnourished, sleep-deprived, often bullied at school, often abused and neglected and emotionally disturbed. They may never have seen a book, a magazine, a toothbrush, or any vegetable other than corn and french fries. They have multiple strikes against them from day one; they often come to school hungry, ill-clothed and just not prepared to learn. Their needs are difficulty to address. And they are often the majority in some schoolrooms.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information