Thread: Is Your Multivtamin Trying To Kill You?

Default Is Your Multivtamin Trying To Kill You?

Sayer Ji
    September 11 2017

What comes to mind when you think of toxic waste disposal? Biohazard suits, lead-lined vaults, and burial deep underground? You might be shocked to learn that a dumping ground for these chemicals is a product that many people consume daily to ensure good health - and it may be in your medicine cabinet.

Read more: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/you...rying-kill-you

Default Re: Is Your Multivtamin Trying To Kill You?

I've never taken multivitamins, always being suspicious of how much quality could be wrapped up in one small multivitamin capsule. I take all my 20+ vit. supps as discrete components inbetween breakfast bites, usually in minimal lifestyle dosages, unless there is a specific need to ramp up a particular vitamin for remedial reasons. As an example, right now, my integrative doctor has me taking increased amounts of Vit B complex 3 times a day, due to elevated homocysteine levels, the result of bloodwork findings.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by grulla View Post
    I've never taken multivitamins, always being suspicious of how much quality could be wrapped up in one small multivitamin capsule. I take all my 20+ vit. supps as discrete components inbetween breakfast bites, usually in minimal lifestyle dosages, unless there is a specific need to ramp up a particular vitamin for remedial reasons. As an example, right now, my integrative doctor has me taking increased amounts of Vit B complex 3 times a day, due to elevated homocysteine levels, the result of bloodwork findings.
    grulla, I've never accepted pill form as an equal to the mother nature substitute of anything, from food to medicine to pot.

There's the real thing, then there's substitutes won't get fooled again color me extremely skeptical of all. Eat apples, bananas, lots of green lettuce or kale soup. Be healthy and never worry about deficiencies.

Veteran Member

Ancient proverb: a man does not get warm sitting in front of a picture of a fireplace.

My nutritional consumption is above and beyond my vitamin consumption, but irregualar and unpredictable. And also, there are vitamins and supplements that are not readily available and/or practical such as Vit D3, especially if one lives where there is limited sunshine. Krill oil and astaxanthin are 2 more examples. Not always knowing my nutritional sources, my vitamin consumption is therefore always minimal lifestyle doses so to help cover my BASIC nutritional needs, and hope that my food does the rest. One needs to further consider lifestyle dosages VS remedial dosages when discussing vitamins.
    Last edited by grulla; 10-05-17 at 03:15 PM.

Multi-vits. are too rigid to suit my needs. I supplement different vits. from time to time based on need. For example, if my blood work indicates elevated creatinine, I will increase my CoQ10 intake. After I eat a restaurant meal, I always take Omega-3 fish oil to balance the extra Omega-6 in a restaurant meal. Multi-vits do not allow me this type of flexibility. Like grulla, I take all my supplements individually, in varied amounts as needed given my dietary or health needs at any given time. Admittedly, it is harder to supplement vits. individually. My 90 yr. old mom takes a multi-vit. because that's the only way I can get her to supplement. So, for those who do not have the patience or knowledge to supplement individually, I believe a high quality multi-vit. is better than not supplementing at all.

Well said, "Mr.Wizard", thank you.

I wonder whether I'm the only regular member growing and preserving an organic vegetable garden (and orchard). I think Julieanne is another but I know nearly nothing about the rest of you. My understanding has always been that if, over time, you consume a variety of nutrients, everything will balance out. After all, we evolved as seasonal creatures, eating what was available from the animal and vegetable kingdoms. Consider that some indigenous people (the Inuit always come to mind, but there are others, e.g. the San) survived and thrived on a very limited diet, or so it seems to us. Many of these groups ate the eyeballs of their animal sources — a prime source of vitamin C.

Yes, I've long been aware that OTC vitamins are a poor choice. I can cite two sources of multivitamins/minerals that I trust: Life Extension and, to a degree, Mercola. To your point, Grulla, Ora and Mr. Wizard, the former is a two-per-day formula because you're right, there's a limit to what you can pack into a single pill. As an insurance policy, I take only one — and not every day, because I do eat well. I take a mega-dose of vitamin C (4 grams/day) because through trial and error I've discovered the level that protects me from colds and flu. Everyone knows by now that I garden nude in summer but I do supplement with D and its co-factors through the Maine winter, and test about every 18 months. Add to the list, Nattokinase, which I take faithfully to keep my arteries clean.

And that's about it. I have a few others on hand, including cod liver oil if I haven't had fatty fish in a while; echinacea and olive leaf if I feel like a virus is making an attempt on me. I just fail to see the need for anything else. And Grulla, 20? That's unsettling. Have you heard of hypervitaminosis? Perhaps you should look it up. It's not only the fat-soluble vitamins that can become toxic over time. Just a thought....
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

"Islander", " And Grulla, 20?" Here's the complete list with minimal dosages, that I'm currently taking in between breakfast bites: B3 niacin, Vit C, sodium scorbate (that you had once recommended to me), serrapeptase and EDTA, nattokinase, Vit E d-alpha tocopherol, Vit K2, MK7, Mercola probiotic, potassium, alpha lipoic/l carnatine combo., l-arginine, magnesium THREONATE (which penetrates the blood brain barrier), ubiquinol, astaxanthin, krill oil, selinium, DHEA, cayenne pepper (capsicum), white willow bark, and MSM.

There is more on my list that I am not currently taking, but my integrative doctor wanted to see that list, and he has recommended that I increase my Vit B complex from a lifestyle dosage of once/day to a remedial 3 times/day dosage, due to increased homocysteine levels (the result of recent blood work observation). He also provides me with HERBAL meds of quercitin, Prostabel, and Prostate Complex, (along with the lycopene that I already take) because ultrasound showed two nodules on my slightly enlarged prostate.

I agree with Hippocrates, "Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." But that is not always possible and/or practical. And BTW, in a similar vein, let your dinner be your desert and your desert be your dinner (provided junk food and sugar are not involved).

Oh, one other thing. The Vit K2, MK7 is taken with breakfast, but the nattokinase is taken just before noon time dinner, my last meal of the day (intermittent fasting), but one more nattokinase is taken before bed time. Also, 3 homeopathic floater pellets (for my eyes) are taken 3 times a day, with the Vit B complex. And medicare does not cover any of that, except for consultation, ultrasound, and bloodwork tests.
    Last edited by grulla; 10-05-17 at 03:53 PM.

My morning fare is usually a SLOWLY SIMMERED veggie omlet/skillet every day: CCO covered with fresh RED onion rings, then 3 eggs, with Celtic sea salt, turmeric/black pepper, oregano, parsley, ground garlic (or fresh garlic cloves if my tummy isnt too growley), fresh cut cilantro, fresh sliced mushrooms, a whole (canned) green chile pepper, a thin cream cheese buffer topped with fresh spinach leaves and then 2 thin slices of muenster cheese, (otherwise all my dairy consumption has been reduced overall by 80+%). Oh and natural uncured bacon or sausage on the side with a single slice of fermented Berlin Bakery sourdough bread with ghee and Indus Ceylon cinnamon or garlic granules. All, including the bulk spices, are bought and prepared ORGANIC except the locally grown and canned Hatch green chiles, the muenster cheese, and the fermented sourdough bread. The breakfast meat is purchased NATURAL with supposedly no typical bad ingredients, but also is not organic.

The second and last meal of the day for me (intermittent fasting until the following morning) is noontime dinner. I go next door to assist my disabled late wife's sister (SIL), with the preparation of WHOLE meats cooked LOW and SLOW, sometimes using the Adele Davis' 24 hour slow roasting technique. I like to prepare fresh chopped cabbage for coleslaw, with brocolli, green onions, celery, frijoles negra, (black beans), pimentos, peas, mushrooms, green olives stuffed with even more pimentos, ACV and EVOO, oregano, garlic granules, cilantro, etc. But I still consume vit/supps.
    Last edited by grulla; 10-05-17 at 04:32 PM.

Veteran Member

Grulla, I'm not much of a dairy guy other than raw milk cheese a couple of times a month. We too do the cole's law, black bean, pea and mushroom regimen because we love the flavor and diversity. Olives, goes without saying every meal accompaniment and homemade bread. Waiting on grandchildren to teach onto.

Veteran Member

The real question is, which came first the chicken or the rooster?

Thread Information