Thread: Bee-Killing Pesticide Found In 75% Of Global Honey Samples

Default Bee-Killing Pesticide Found In 75% Of Global Honey Samples

Laura Goldman
    October 9 2017

There’s nothing sweet at all about the results of a recent study of honey from around the world. In samples from every continent except Antarctica, traces of neonicotinoid pesticides were found in 75 percent of them – even in honey from remote places like Tahiti. Almost half the samples contained at least two different types of pesticides.
    The contamination rates were highest in North America, where a shocking 86 percent of the honey samples contained at least one neonicotinoid. For Asia, it was 80 percent; for Europe, 70 percent. The rate was lowest in South America (57 percent

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/bee-kill...y-samples.html

Default Re: Bee-Killing Pesticide Found In 75% Of Global Honey Samples

That's really disturbing. I buy local honey from someone I know personally, but there's no reason to assume that it's free of Neonics. Roundup is being sprayed regularly on cornfields in our area — maybe only once a summer, but it's there. And I do like a teaspoon of honey in my morning tea!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    That's really disturbing. I buy local honey from someone I know personally, but there's no reason to assume that it's free of Neonics. Roundup is being sprayed regularly on cornfields in our area — maybe only once a summer, but it's there. And I do like a teaspoon of honey in my morning tea!
    Especially true and somewhat scary and since bees forage for pollen in a pretty big area, there's no guaranty that they (and you) can avoid GMO or pesticide laden flowers.

So, DDT was banned in the 70's because it was killing birds. If neonics are 7,000 times more toxic than DDT, what is the EPA waiting for?? States don't have to wait on the Feds. They can ban the stuff too!!

Much of the honey in Australia comes from eucalyptus trees (including my favourite ) which aren't in contact with sprayed crops. I'm hoping that makes them fairly clean. I'll have to look into it, but I'd hate to cut it out of my diet. Just 1/2 teaspoon in ginger or herbal tea makes all the difference.

Mr. Wizard, right now the EPA is busy repealing the Clean Air Act, along with other actions to weaken regulations that protect the environment. Given the power of industry lobbyists (measured in dollars of corruption), I doubt individual states have the political will to keep these measures in place. I wish I could be more optimistic.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

More on pesticides, endangered birds and the bees:

by Dr. David Suzuki
    No date given

"The Canadian government is banning plastic microbeads in toiletries. Although designed to clean us, they're polluting the environment, putting the health of fish, wildlife and people at risk. Manufacturers and consumers ushered plastic microbeads into the marketplace, but when we learned of their dangers, we moved to phase them out.

Why, then, is it taking so long to phase out the world's most widely used insecticides, neonicotinoids? Scientists have proven they're harming not only the pests they're designed to kill, but also a long list of non-target species, including pollinators we rely on globally for about one-third of food crops.

Neonics are systemic pesticides. Plants absorb and integrate them into all tissues—roots, stems, leaves, flowers, pollen and nectar. First introduced in the 1990s, they now account for one-third of the global pesticide market. Agricultural applications include leaf sprays, and seed and soil treatments. They're also used for trees, turf products and flea and tick treatments for pets."

Read more:
    https://www.ecowatch.com/health-cost...494861632.html

Thread Information