Thread: Insulin Costs Skyrocket While Research Reverses Diabetes

Default Insulin Costs Skyrocket While Research Reverses Diabetes

Hiyaguha Cohen
    09/28/2017

“If God hadn’t meant for us to eat sugar, he wouldn’t have invented dentists,” said Ralph Nader. Certainly, love of sweets seems to be embedded in the DNA of most humans, which is why bakeries in the US gross about $39 billion annually.1 Add to that the multi-billion dollar revenue from 80,000 ice-cream joints.2 Even dogs love ice cream. But sugar and delicious fried foods and carbohydrate meals all add up to health problems when consumed in excess, which is exactly what a good percentage of the US population has been doing—eating unhealthy foods in excess.

Read more: https://jonbarron.org/diabetes-blood...rses-diabetes#
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Insulin Costs Skyrocket While Research Reverses Diabetes

Thanks very much for sharing!! This article is "packed" with great info., especially the research out of NewCastle University
    (Great Britain) showing that calorie restriction can reverse diabetes in some. Don't know if I could do 800 calories a day for 2 months, but guess I could if I wanted to reverse diabetes badly enough. That insulin costs can range up to a $1,000 per month is just astounding, especially considering a vial of insulin in the UK cost about $39 vs. $276 here in the U.S.

Default Re: Insulin Costs Skyrocket While Research Reverses Diabetes

I wouldn't like to argue with Jon Barron but I'm questioning his belief that the pancreas produces less insulin. Because I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes at age 65, I've done a lot of research on controlling it without medication. The pancreas can produce insulin; the problem is that elevated blood glucose prevents the cells from accepting more insulin. It starts as metabolic syndrome and progresses to full-blown diabetes unless managed by diet and exercise.

An 800-calorie diet reverses diabetes primarily because reaching that number means eliminating grains and sugars (the same reason the "blood type" diet seems to work). I did the same thing on my usual diet of 1200-1500 calories a day (I don't count, I'm guessing), by increasing my physical activity, losing weight, and avoiding all grains and sugars and limiting starchy vegetables like beets, potatoes, winter squash.

I had been a pack-a-day smoker for 50 years. I quit when I retired because I could no longer afford cigarettes on my tiny Social Security pension... and became more sedentary. I gained 60 pounds and my BG went from normal the preceding year to an A1c of 8.9. What a surprise! By doing what I described above, I've brought it down to 5.1-5.2 without meds — and I eat very well indeed.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information