Thread: It may be time to end summer time, European assembly says

Veteran Member

Default It may be time to end summer time, European assembly says

Jonathan Stearns
    February 09, 2018

The European Parliament said Europe should consider ending daylight saving time because of potential benefits for human health. The European Union assembly urged the bloc’s regulators to reevaluate the merits of the decades-old practice of capitalizing on natural daylight by putting clocks forward by 60 minutes between late March and late October.
    The nonbinding resolution points to an October 2017 EU Parliament study saying that daylight saving time is associated with disruptions to the human biorhythm."

Read more here: https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/wor...WMN/story.html
    Last edited by Islander; 02-09-18 at 12:51 PM.

Default Re: It may be time to end summer time, European assembly says

Right on "Ora", and here in the U.S. as well. Here is an e-mail about time change that I sent to my NM legislator(s) back in Feb 2017

Dear NM Legislator, I am writing you to encourage the legislation and elimination of the nonsensical practice of having to change our clocks twice a year, and sincerely believe that it is something most all of us can agree on. However, where we might disagree is that some legislators and citizens have proposed keeping NM on daylight savings time (MDST) year around, while others, myself included, would want to do the practical and efficient thing by keeping our time as Mountain Standard Time (MST) year around, and sync up with the proven economy of Arizona, who stays on the same time year round.By changing to year around MDST, we (NM) would be alone (like a Banana Republic) by not joining others in a sensible time standard, iike AZ, who has had this wonderful year around MST for many years. It would be sensible to sync up with a strong economy such as AZ from an efficient and economical POV for travelers, shippers, transportation companies, etc., and not venture out on our own chronologically with an oddball NM TIME which would not even sync with Central Time States year around.
    And this legislation to eliminate time change should be very easy to accomplish by simply eliminating the time change legislation that was originally enacted on a state level, I believe, back in the 1960s, (or whenever) that was permitted by Federal Law. Again, remember AZ did not comply with that Federal law and remained MST year around. https://www.petition2congress.com/62...t-savings-time

I find daylight savings disrupting for a number of reasons, especially when I can't remember which of my friends living Indiana and North Dakota observe daylight savings and which ones don't. I'm not sure this old WWII generated practice still matters.

Mr. Wiz, please explain why it was important during WW 2. I guess I wasn't in history class that day.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Lol. I missed a few history classes myself. As I recall, daylight saving time (DST) was originally established in the U.S. a little before the end of WW 1 in 1918, but was repealed a year later in 1919. It was re-established again early during WW 2 (1941-1945), as an energy saving tactic to conserve oil, coal, wood, etc., needed for the war. Funny thing, it was not widely observed during the 40s. It wasn't until the energy shortages of the 70s that many of the non-east coast states began implementing. I have friends in places like Indiana, which until the last few years didn't have statewide observance. OK. That's the extent of my history recollection. Lol.

That makes sense, thanks. I still think that the regular interruption of our circadian rhythms twice a year is a mistake, and I hope that pressure mounts among the states to reject it entirely, as Arizona has done.

Daylight saving time formerly had been called "War Time", in reference to the practice during WWII, as mentioned in Mr Wizard's comment. Currently I am living in an area where DST is not observed, although in the past I have lived in places subject to this idiotic practice. We remain in Atlantic Standard Time all year around. This only issue for me personally is that our national news from the US is based on east coast time, which fluctuates twice each year. This is annoying, but at least our clocks here remain on a pretty stable 24 hour cycle. Yes, I vote to abolish this idiocy.

Maurya, welcome back! So glad you are able to be with us again.

Thanks! First the electrical current, and just now the internet. Will all these wonders never end?

Good to see you back and well, Maurya.

Support! You must have been living on a day-to-day survival mode. It's good to know that little by little, St. Croix is creeping back toward normality!

Thread Information