Thread: Far-UVC light: new tool to control the spread of airborne-mediated microbial disease

Default Far-UVC light: new tool to control the spread of airborne-mediated microbial disease

David Welch, Manuela Buonanno, Veljko Grilj, Igor Shuryak, Connor Crickmore, Alan W. Bigelow, Gerhard Randers-Pehrson, Gary W. Johnson & David J. Brenner
    February 9, 2018

Abstract
    Airborne-mediated microbial diseases such as influenza and tuberculosis represent major public health challenges. A direct approach to prevent airborne transmission is inactivation of airborne pathogens, and the airborne antimicrobial potential of UVC ultraviolet light has long been established; however, its widespread use in public settings is limited because conventional UVC light sources are both carcinogenic and cataractogenic. By contrast, we have previously shown that far-UVC light (207–222 nm) efficiently inactivates bacteria without harm to exposed mammalian skin. This is because, due to its strong absorbance in biological materials, far-UVC light cannot penetrate even the outer (non living) layers of human skin or eye; however, because bacteria and viruses are of micrometer or smaller dimensions, far-UVC can penetrate and inactivate them.

Read more: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-21058-w
    Last edited by Islander; 02-13-18 at 11:24 AM.

Default Re: Far-UVC light: new tool to control the spread of airborne-mediated microbial dise

Fascinating! I guess the first use of these would be in hospitals and doctor's surgeries? I wonder what the cost will be, and when this technology will be available.

Default Re: Far-UVC light: new tool to control the spread of airborne-mediated microbial dise

This makes sense to me. Currently I am using an UV flow through unit as the third and final stage in my cistern water filtration system. The replacement bulbs are quite pricey (about $70 US), although one usually lasts for more than a year. This system is supposed to reduce the bacteria which remain in the water after the first two sediment filters (20 micron and 5 micron with charcoal) have done their thing with the water as it gets pumped to the spigot.

Can anyone tell me what "conventional UVC light sources" are?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Can anyone tell me what "conventional UVC light sources" are?
    Perhaps this link is helpful: https://www.light-sources.com/soluti...dal-uvc-lamps/

Not sure what the tree in the house means, but yes, that's helpful. Thanks!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information