Thread: 3 Reasons Paleo Is Dead And Ketogenic Diet Is The Future Of Weight Loss Fads In 2018

Default 3 Reasons Paleo Is Dead And Ketogenic Diet Is The Future Of Weight Loss Fads In 2018

• Joe Leech
    • February 12 2018

Remember when the paleo diet smothered your news feed?
    Celebrities were raving about the “caveman lifestyle,” while researchers and dietitians were saying it was just a fad.
    Well, we were right.
    I’m looking at why the paleo diet is all but dead, and why the ketogenic diet will replace it going forward in 2018.

https://www.care2.com/greenliving/3-reasons-paleo-is-dead-and-the-ketogenic-diet-is-the-future-of-weight-loss-fads-in-2018.html

Default Re: 3 Reasons Paleo Is Dead And Ketogenic Diet Is The Future Of Weight Loss Fads In 2

I continue to disagree with the calories in/calories out balance. Certainly calories matter; if I exceed 1200-1300 calories/day, I will gain weight. But the source of the calories matters a great deal more, not necessarily for weight loss but for health maintenance.

But since the focus is on weight loss, their handy little chart is deceptive. In the "How it works" column, none of those strategies necessarily results in a calorie deficit; in fact, the ketogenic diet is fairly calorie-dense. Any one of them can be manipulated depending on what kind of carbs are consumed. You can eat 300 calories of candy, soda, cakes, donuts, potatoes, rice, bagels, bread... or 300 calories of broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, green beans eggs, apples. Which choice will satisfy your hunger, and which is healthier? It's obvious.

I have a friend who's been on the keto diet for several years. His weight is stable and he claims to be in the peak of health. He does look good. So does his girlfriend. They were here on farm business and I invited them for lunch. He would not partake (it was chorizo-sweet potato soup) and claimed he wasn't hungry anyway. She enjoyed the soup. I think it must be expensive to live this way since meat is the highest-priced item on the menu, especially if it's organic.

Based on my reading and his influence, though, I tried it. For a month. It was the most boring diet ever. I gritted my teeth and kept at it, thinking at the very least I would lose a few pounds. I even bought a bottle of ketostix to test my urine, and guess what? After a week of keeping carbs at under 20g, the stix said I was not in ketosis. Fine. Next week I reduced the carbs to 10g. Stix showed me at the lowest level of keto. The following week, I eliminated carbs altogether and... that's right... no change. I finished the month with the carbs between zero and 10 and had made no progress whatever on the keto scale; lost 4 pounds. Overall I lacked energy, felt brain-fogged, craved veggies. Which confirms what we all know: everyone's different.

So I returned to the diet I've been following ever since I was diagnosed with type two diabetes: high fat, moderate protein, low carbs; no grains, no sugars. Despite having no bread, and only occasionally resistant rice and potatoes, I feel in no way deprived. I eat very well. I have no cravings and don't feel envious in social situations where others are enjoying gooey dessert fare. I manage my condition without meds and hold my A1c at 5.1. As someone said, possibly in this article, the best diet is the one that works for you!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: 3 Reasons Paleo Is Dead And Ketogenic Diet Is The Future Of Weight Loss Fads In 2

Soapbox ahead: The "calories in, calories out" concept totally ignores what recent, properly examined science has found having to do with the extremely complex signaling network of our cells, not just human cells, but all living cells. Yes, as Islander has said, one can over ride a healthy diet by just forcing extreme amounts of food down one's gullet, but this misses the point.

Personal anecdote: During my "hurricane diet", mostly consisting of MREs issued by the National Guard, supplemented by sandwiches and junk food which I normally would not have been eating, I lost those pesky twenty pounds. Unfortunately, the weight loss was not just the fat that I desired to be rid of; I also lost quite a bit of strength and muscle mass, in spite of spending most of each day cutting up dead trees with a hand saw and other manual labor. Now that the electricity mostly has been restored and the farmers are able to grow some veggies, my diet is much better, and I am struggling to regain my strength, without regaining the fat. We shall see... The point of this is just that eating to "lose weight" is easy; just be hungry, eat anything, carbs or otherwise, feel like shit, and forget about long term health. So this is why the "keto diet" probably will remain a fad diet. It will work for short term weight loss, as will many other approaches. As soon as physical activity and long term health are factored into the equation, the benefits quickly disappear.

Well said, Maurya. (I am so glad you'll soon be able to access fresh local food!) I've heard it said that food is information, and I think that's very well put. That information is channeled directly into what Maurya called "the extremely complex signaling network of our cells." What information do you want to send them?
    Last edited by Islander; 02-14-18 at 06:15 PM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Maurya, Glad things are beginning to improve. I'm so sorry that it has taken far too long though.

Because of my celiac, my diet tends to be paleo/keto by default. I would make claims about it being healthier at this point, but it keeps me safe from getting glutened. For me it also helps keep my weight stable.

Thread Information