Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Healing Power of Oats Validated By Science

Default Re: Healing Power of Oats Validated By Science

The organic whole groat oats (groats) finally arrived in bulk form at my health food coop. I purchased 3lbs that filled a 48 oz recycled coffee can, at a $1.39/lb, a real bargain for this superfood. Most recipes call for soaking the groats overnight before preparation, but I simply filled 1 cup of groats into 3 or 4 cups of cold water plus a sliced 'n diced organic apple, a dab of ghee, and brought it to a boil, and then turned the heat down for about 10-15 minutes to simmer, (and not the 30-40 minutes recommended), then turned off the heat completely and let it stand for a few hours to cool, after which I put the pot of cooked groats in the fridge. The next day, a portion was reheated for breakfast and it tasted just great, with added Ceylon cinnamon and sometimes a dab of organic maple syrup. This groat preparation procedure wasn't that much different than the above described preparation for steel cut oats. There are quite a few website procedures for the preparation of whole oat groats, here is just one of many: https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...o-cook-groats/
    Last edited by Islander; 05-11-18 at 01:58 PM.

UPDATE: Just want to mention that I have introduced organic pears to the groatmeal. Though the flavor doesn't appear to be as strong as apples, it's mighty tasty none-the-less. Choosing an (organic) apple or pear variety that lends itself to baking pies, or perhaps any organic variety that is semi ripe (amylose starch resistant), is important for flavorful results, but known baking varieties (like Granny Smith) are not always available at my food co-op, so partially ripe, hard apples or pears are the next best choice.

Oh, and the co-op has dropped the price of groats 20 cents to a $1.19/lb as per my suggestion, in order to demonstrate the lack of labor costs that is needed for the rolled, steel cut, and crimped varieties at $1.39/lb, not to mention preserving the oats nutritional integrity, the best of both worlds. :-)
    Last edited by Islander; 05-11-18 at 01:52 PM.

I often add diced fresh pears to my oatmeal (after cooking), along with walnuts and a tiny bit of crystallized ginger. Kicks it up a notch!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information