Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Healing Power of Oats Validated By Science

Default Re: Healing Power of Oats Validated By Science

The organic whole groat oats (groats) finally arrived in bulk form at my health food coop. I purchased 3lbs that filled a 48 oz recycled coffee can, at a $1.39/lb, a real bargain for this superfood. Most recipes call for soaking the groats overnight before preparation, but I simply filled 1 cup of groats into 3 or 4 cups of cold water plus a sliced 'n diced organic apple, a dab of ghee, and brought it to a boil, and then turned the heat down for about 10-15 minutes to simmer, (and not the 30-40 minutes recommended), then turned off the heat completely and let it stand for a few hours to cool, after which I put the pot of cooked groats in the fridge. The next day, a portion was reheated for breakfast and it tasted just great, with added Ceylon cinnamon and sometimes a dab of organic maple syrup. This groat preparation procedure wasn't that much different than the above described preparation for steel cut oats. There are quite a few website procedures for the preparation of whole oat groats, here is just one of many: https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...o-cook-groats/
    Last edited by Islander; 05-11-18 at 01:58 PM.

UPDATE: Just want to mention that I have introduced organic pears to the groatmeal. Though the flavor doesn't appear to be as strong as apples, it's mighty tasty none-the-less. Choosing an (organic) apple or pear variety that lends itself to baking pies, or perhaps any organic variety that is semi ripe (amylose starch resistant), is important for flavorful results, but known baking varieties (like Granny Smith) are not always available at my food co-op, so partially ripe, hard apples or pears are the next best choice.

Oh, and the co-op has dropped the price of groats 20 cents to a $1.19/lb as per my suggestion, in order to demonstrate the lack of labor costs that is needed for the rolled, steel cut, and crimped varieties at $1.39/lb, not to mention preserving the oats nutritional integrity, the best of both worlds. :-)
    Last edited by Islander; 05-11-18 at 01:52 PM.

I often add diced fresh pears to my oatmeal (after cooking), along with walnuts and a tiny bit of crystallized ginger. Kicks it up a notch!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Further groatmeal update. I've been recently reminded that under certain circumstances, oatmeal can give me acid reflux. One reason for that might be that I was so busy preparing my main breakfast while the grotmel was (re)heating (simmering), that due to poor timing and coordination, I wound up eating my groats for breakfast desert, instead of the traditional prebreakfast cereal appetizer, and the starchy-like pasty texture was clinging to my throat and tummy, just like a greasy meal, causing the heartburn, without my omelet forcing it further down. So now I make sure to eat the groats first, and that seems to be helping to avoid the acid reflux.

The other reason for the reflux might be that I avoided PREsoaking the groats against lectins and phytic acid, so since I was already PLANNING AHEAD to allow large amounts of the finished groats to cool in the fridge to help make it amylose RS starch free, I rationalized that I might just as well presoak the groats for a day with ACV to help reduce the phytic acid and related lectins. So far, so good, no more reflux. Once again, PLAN AHEAD and cook large amounts to last a week.

https://wholelifestylenutrition.com/...-prepare-them/

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-...h-phytic-acid/ Subtitle "OATS", last paragraph, "Unprocessed Irish or Scottish..."

Wait, wait. Grulla, you have two dishes for breakfast, oatmeal and eggs? I always understood that the fancy omelet was your breakfast. Man, that's a big breakfast! How many eggs in the omelet, if I may ask?

Veteran Member

We have had chickens for the last 7-8 years and so have had "free" eggs and are spoiled that way. The reality is, the eggs aren't exactly free, because you have to feed them, they free-range in warm weather but in winter they depend on our feeding them, always organic which is of course more expensive. Our original flock of 20 is now down to 3 girls and one rooster, but as they age the egg production trickles down over the years to near zero now. So, we already have an agreement in place with a private breeder to restock, and will be getting 8 more young hens in August.

Does anyone else here also have chickens? They are surprisingly easy to maintain, just don't name them if you intend to eat them ;-)
    (we don't grow ours to eat, just for the eggs.)

Had them for years, before the fire. Spent hens were killed, cleaned, plucked and tossed in the pressure cooker, then the chicken meat was canned. Keeps just fine that way and saves freezer space for the big meat. I no longer keep chickens because I can't winter them over, but so many others do that I have lots of egg sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Wait, wait. Grulla, you have two dishes for breakfast, oatmeal and eggs? I always understood that the fancy omelet was your breakfast. Man, that's a big breakfast! How many eggs in the omelet, if I may ask?
    I have always thought of oatmeal or quinoa like any other breakfast cereal, just as an appetizer, and not as a whole meal breakfast by itself, and followed by my 3 egg veggie omelet with bacon or sausage on the side, with a slice or two of lightly toasted spelt sourdough bread garnished with coarse garlic granules, oregano, and ghee.

I prepare the 3 egg omelet every morning in a stainless steel covered skillet with MINIMAL heat, starting with CCO, sliced onion rings, topped with 3 eggs, and then garnished with turmeric, fresh ground peppercorn, (peperine for the turmeric), celtic sea salt, parsley, sliced garlic clove, oregano, and fresh cilantro. Then comes the fresh sliced mushrooms topped by a green Hatch chile with a minimal sliver of cream cheese, and ten fresh spinach leaves topped of with a very thin slice of Muenster cheese.

Most all is organic from my co-op except the Hatch chiles and Muenster cheese. And the breakfast meat is always bought natural without the nitrates and such. The cream cheese is Organic Valley with only a 2% calcium content and a high Vit K content, and with the minimal muenster cheese (also Vit K), is the extent of my dairy consumption for the day, due to the calcified carotid artery issues that I've been combating over the past year. You might think of all that as fancy, but to me it is just healthy motivated, and not gourmet like.

And breakfast is my first early (5AM) meal and needs to be substantial to get my day going. I prescribe to the intermittent fasting concept so my last meal of the day is lunchtime dinner by or before noon. In that way I can turn in early to bed (6-8 PM) with a thoroughly emptied and digested stomach and a good night's sleep without any night time tummy issues.

https://www.berlinnaturalbakery.com/...gh-spelt-bread Sold by my coop for one dollar less than the posted MSRP.
    Last edited by grulla; 06-26-18 at 09:43 AM.

Whole. Lee. Mackerel. That morning meal would constitute my entire day's consumption! In fact, the egg with its protein and fat would put me over the limit for daily calories all by itself. Cut back a little, and I could afford a small oatmeal: generally 1/3 cup of oats with a handful of blueberries or diced pears and a sprinkle of walnuts. And I lead an active life too — just unloaded and binned 100 lbs. of livestock feed. I do that once a week but as the critters grow, it will be more frequent. And I've dropped the number of pigs & chickens in half this year, so you can guess how many pounds I used to horse around up until this spring. I've stated elsewhere that I have a "thrifty" metabolism, so anything more than 1300-1500 calories/day will lead to unhealthy weight gain.

Well I realize that my diet may appear to be large to you, but keep in mind that my breakfast is more about variety than quantity, with fresh veggies, beneficial fats, some protein, and some mostly resistant starches (like the organic greenish banana breakfast appetizer on an empty stomach each and every morning, and also the 20+ vitamin supps, both of which I forgot to mention to you above).

I have lost over 40 lbs since I retired from my job in 2010, after 42 years of driving a RR telecom service truck. And my lunchtime dinner today was (typically) smaller with just one dark meat chicken quarter and home made coleslaw, the last meal of the day, as usual.

One thing though, is that this extreme sumer heat, right now in the high 90s+ (F), is not very conducive to outdoor activities, and as a result I have gained a couple lbs. recently, but expect to lose that weight when the weather cools shortly, at the expense of summer monsoon rain with high humidity, can't wait for autumn to arrive. And I also donate a lot of blood periodically, (just yesterday, and more than I'm supposed to, once a month), so at 72 Y.O., I gotta keep my bone marrow well nourished. :-)
    Last edited by grulla; 06-26-18 at 05:35 PM.

Back to the WHOLE groat meal, the first batch came out great after a lengthy soak and periodic rinse preparation, and now in the process of preparing a second batch. Two cups of groats covered with water and a tablespoon of ACV for a 24 hour soak, (and rinsed in a large strainer after 12 hours and the covering water replaced for another 12 hours with ACV). One diced organic apple for every cup of WHOLE groats (2) will be added when ready for a 10 minute low temperature boil, followed by a cooling off period where all the loose water is absorbed and the WHOLE groats, with the diced apples, rise in the pot, and then refrigerated for a next day breakfast portion, garnished with Indus Ceylon Cinnamon, ghee, and a tiny amount of organic maple syrup. And no acid reflux heartburn...so far.
    Last edited by grulla; 06-26-18 at 06:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information