Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healing Power of Oats Validated By Science

Default Healing Power of Oats Validated By Science

GreenMedInfo Research Group
    Wednesday, February 14th 2018

Grains have gotten a bad rap in recent years, with the rise in popularity of paleo and ketogenic diets turning people away from many carbohydrate foods. But oats have unique health benefits that should be taken into account.

The story of oats is a classic rags-to-riches tale, if ever that could be applied to food. Once considered acceptable food only for livestock, oats are now regarded as one of the healthiest foods on the planet. Valued by the weight-conscious as a filling, low-calorie meal option, and approved by low-carb dieters thanks to a slow-burning, low-glycemic profile. Still a staple food in many countries, oats have finally gone mainstream. And this is a dietary trend with lots of merit.

Keep reading: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/healing-power-oats

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Healing Power of Oats Validated By Science

I've always been led to believe that steel cut oats were the best and healthiest choice of all the oat options. This Prevention Magazine article helps to corroborate that. I have a bag of fresh steel cut oats in the cupboard, bought in bulk recently from my healthfood co-op, still laying in wait to be prepared, since I have been distracted so much by quinoa. https://www.prevention.com/content/w...or-rolled-oats

Funny, because I recently read an article (not in Prevention), evaluating all 4 types: oat groats, steel-cut oats, rolled oats and instant (quick-cooking) rolled oats. According to their analysis, there were slight differences in fiber, texture, prep time etc. but the big picture was that they are all essentially the same, i.e. very little variation nutritionally. I prefer the 5-minute rolled oats, mostly because I like the texture. Still, because they are a starchy carb, I limit them to once every 7-10 days. And because I don't eat breakfast, my midday meal may be oats, or eggs, or a soup or a salad or leftover stir-fry or whatever "must go" in the fridge!

Six hours later after my last post this morning, since it's cold, windy, and blustery outside today, I decided to stay indoors this afternoon and prepare a cup of steel-cut (SC) oats according to Bob's Red Mill website instructions, for tomorrow's breakfast. https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/...teel-cut-oats/

After 3 cups of water came to a hard boil, I slowly poured in the SC oats, and then added in a small organic sliced 'n diced apple, let it boil for gently for appx 20 minutes at low flame, then turned off the flame and let it sit for an hour or so. Smelled good, so I cheated slightly on my intermittent fasting routine and had a couple of spoon fulls, tasted great.

Next I'll refrigerate the batch of SC oats in order to help create resistant amylose starch in both the oats and apple for tomorrows (reheated) breakfast, where some Ceylon cinnamon, a little organic ghee, and a tad of organic maple syrup will be added, can't wait. :-) https://www.precisionnutrition.com/a...sistant-starch category type 3 retrograded applies here
    Last edited by grulla; 03-03-18 at 11:43 AM.

Grulla, that's the best explanation I've seen of resistant starch. Would you like to post it as a stand-alone article in the Nutrition forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Grulla, that's the best explanation I've seen of resistant starch. Would you like to post it as a stand-alone article in the Nutrition forum?
    I don't have any news articles to point out that comply with the HH way, however if one searches the words <starch resistant amylose>, there are numerous websites on the subject, just like my above link and these:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...amylose-foods/ https://draxe.com/amylose/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...sistant-starch
    Last edited by grulla; 02-23-18 at 10:07 AM.

I'll post it then. Best, most easily understood discussion of the topic!

Amylose resistant starch (RS) aside, and back to the "oats" topic, this subject made me think about our egger chicken days back in the 90s, when we decided to let our 150 bird flock help themselves to a buffet of 6 top hat, sheetmetal feeders, and each loaded with a different WHOLE grain such as wheat, milo, corn, oats, ground clam shells, and at that time soy granules too.

That let the birds chose what they felt was best needed, (as well as allowing them to free roam for insects). Using whole grains (as opposed to ground, crimped, rolled, cut, powdered), also provided for fresher, better nutrition letting the chicken's gizzard to the work it was intended for, providing lower grain costs, and also allowed the various spilled grains on the ground to be easier retrievable, less wasted grain.

That made me think if preparing WHOLE grain groat oats was feasible, and lo 'n behold, according to Dr Andrew Weil, yes, so my next purchase will be for WHOLE oats for my breakfast. And I recall "Islander" mentioning that she buys 50lb sacks of chicken feed grain ORGANIC, so I will look into that as well to see if it's available locally at a feed store, and if so, store the sack in the outdoor chest freezer, as Dr. Weil (link) cautions about buying too large an amount of vulnerable oats going bad and rotting, not to mention insect and mite issues. https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutritio...h-grains-oats/
    Last edited by grulla; 03-03-18 at 12:17 PM.

You had 150 laying hens? Holy moly! Were you selling vast quantities of eggs?

I doubt that oat groats are cheaper, but if so, remember that they need a substantially longer cooking time, and have no nutritional advantage. Unless you have a woodstove, any potential savings might be offset by the cost to cook those grains.

You had 150 laying hens? Holy moly! Were you selling vast quantities of eggs?

I doubt that oat groats are cheaper, but if so, remember that they need a substantially longer cooking time, and have no nutritional advantage. Unless you have a woodstove, any potential savings might be offset by the cost to cook those grains.
    We did a lot of our own incubating, hence the large number of 150 poos, a lot of which were roosters, which we gave away to someone we knew, for the meat. We sold eggs locally for a few years during the 90s. As I recall, the initial cost of WHOLE grain was always a bit cheaper due to less labor costs of additional crimping or rolling.

As for cooking time, I now pour the steel cut oats in boiling water (with diced apple and ghee) turning down the heat and simmering for about 10-15 minutes, then turning off the heat and letting it stand for at least a hassle free one hour, or much longer if I'm busy. I'm sure the same or similar cooking practice can apply to whole groat oats as well, just plan ahead like one does for the Adele Davis slow roasting technique. Then after the pot of oats has chilled in the fridge for at least 24 hours to reduce RS amylose starches, a small portion can be taken out of the fridge and rewarmed for breakfast. And that's when I add some coumarin free Ceylon cinnamon and a tad of organic maple syrup.

grulla: " store the sack in the outdoor chest freezer" Crikey, you have a freezer that can hold a 50lb sack of grain? It must be enormous!

Allow me to add that a 50-pound sack of any human food is really over the top. I had a 25-pound bucket of rolled oats and it took me 4 or 5 years to eat my way through that!

For the benefit of those who aren't conversant with the breeds of chickens, roosters from the layer breeds are considered useless. Broiler breeds reach finishing weight in 6 weeks; layer roosters take 7 months. Unless they can free-range and fend for themselves, they aren't worth 50¢.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    grulla: " store the sack in the outdoor chest freezer" Crikey, you have a freezer that can hold a 50lb sack of grain? It must be enormous!
    It's a Sears Kenmore chest freezer https://www.kenmore.com/products/ken...-freezer-white. I humorously think of it as the Norman Bates Motel freezer from the 1960 Alfred Hitchcok movie "Psycho" https://the.hitchcock.zone/wiki/Norman_Bates .

I ordered this freezer about over a year ago to replace the similar old and tired Sears chest freezer my late MIL had purchased in 1980 back in AZ. It is somewhat oversized for our needs, so in order to run it efficiently, I placed 3 six gallon plastic jerry cans in the freezer to take up the extra space and serve as thermal ballast and also thermal storage in case of a power failure.

If additional space is needed, one or more of the 3 6 gallon Jerry cans can simply be removed, like for that proposed sack of oats. The freezer is situated outdoors behind my SIL's MH on a elevated pad constructed of concrete blocks topped with shortened wood railroad ties for a softer base. Besides meats and frozen veggies, I already keep a 25lb sack of quinoa in the freezer and dish out in a large coffee can as needed.
    Last edited by grulla; 03-04-18 at 11:35 AM.

... For the benefit of those who aren't conversant with the breeds of chickens, roosters from the layer breeds are considered useless. Broiler breeds reach finishing weight in 6 weeks; layer roosters take 7 months. Unless they can free-range and fend for themselves, they aren't worth 50¢.
    I want to further explain about incubating or own chicks. We used a smaller, appx 20 egg, galvanized sheet metal Brower incubator, such as this example https://picclick.com/BROWER-845-A-Ga...430102113.html, mounted on the top of the RV bedroom dresser so my wife and I had convenient access to roll the eggs punctually twice a day during the 23 day gestation period. A damp/wet sponge and thermometer was kept and maintained in the incubator for moisture/humidity and proper temperature.

The hatched baby chicks were placed in a large glass aquarium fish tank heated with a small, shaded filament light bulb. A nipple hampster water feeder was hung from the edge of the fish tank and the baby chicks required only one hand held introduction as to how to get water by gently placing their beak in the wet water nipple. That eliminated a big water bowl mess in the wood chip floor, worked great. After the chicks approached near pullet sized, they were gradually introduced to the outdoors with the adults. One time, we had some mysterious baby chick deaths outside only to finally discover a small rattle snake, which was quickly dispatched.
    Last edited by grulla; 03-04-18 at 11:43 AM.

[QUOTE=Islander;78648]Allow me to add that a 50-pound sack of any human food is really over the top. I had a 25-pound bucket of rolled oats and it took me 4 or 5 years to eat my way through that!

Interesting news, I want to take oatmeal to the next level (in the spirit of REAL whole food) and buy the uncut, unprocessed (NOT rolled, crimped, or even steel cut), whole oats (groats), something my co-op had not previously stocked (in bulk form). My healthfood co-op clerk told me he had gotten other requests for groats and they will now be in (bulk dispensed) stock by next week. That made me happy, as at this point in time, I didn't want to have to go to the trouble of buying a 50 lb sack of, (probably non-organic), whole oats from my local feed and livestock store, which I have stocked in the past as a non-dietary, no grain ever, disciplinary lure for untrained and mischievous horses, as well as the previous buffet option for the egger flock. If I find the small groat purchase satisfactory, then maybe I'll consider a large (organic) 25 lb sack of groats for the freezer, just like that 25 lb.sack of quinoa, both good as survival food, power failures not withstanding. And my co-op discounts 10% for a whole sack purchase. I will further update on the groat preparing results ASAP.
    Last edited by grulla; 03-15-18 at 10:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information