Thread: Largest study of its kind finds alcohol use biggest risk factor for dementia

Default Largest study of its kind finds alcohol use biggest risk factor for dementia

Michaël Schwarzinger, Bruce G Pollock, Omer S M Hasan, Carole Dufouil, Jürgen Rehm

February 20, 2018

Alcohol use disorders are the most important preventable risk factors for the onset of all types of dementia, especially early-onset dementia. This according to a nationwide observational study, published in The Lancet Public Health journal, of over one million adults diagnosed with dementia in France.
    This study looked specifically at the effect of alcohol use disorders, and included people who had been diagnosed with mental and behavioural disorders or chronic diseases that were attributable to chronic harmful use of alcohol.
    Of the 57,000 cases of early-onset dementia (before the age of 65), the majority (57%) were related to chronic heavy drinking.

Read more here: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...oxg08.facebook

Original study here: http://www.thelancet-press.com/embar...tiaalcohol.pdf

Default Re: Largest study of its kind finds alcohol use biggest risk factor for dementia

To me this finding seems consistent with the frequent assertion that dementia should be called "Type 3 Diabetes". Sugar, alcohol; the human body treats these much the same.

Default Re: Largest study of its kind finds alcohol use biggest risk factor for dementia

Now I'm curious as to what the other causes might be. That still leaves 43% unaccounted for.

My days of alcohol abuse pretty much ended with college, though I admit they began halfway through high school (yes, I had a rowdy, rebellious youth)! These days it's the occasional glass of wine in the evening, mostly homemade and thus organic. If I've made it through more than 3/4 of a century with my wits about me, I think I'm home free!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

They do mention that the greatest influence of alcohol with dementia was found with people under the age of 65. You and I would seem to be in the clear! My choice still is in the "moderation" column, although I seem to have front-loaded my alcohol consumption in my earlier years. (See: My mis-spent youth. Do you think they still remember that teenage girl in Provincetown drunk on too many daiquiris from 50 years ago? Nah, probably not.)

"Do you think they still remember that teenage girl in Provincetown drunk on too many daiquiris from 50 years ago?" Ah hah, we visited Provincetown on two separate occasions back in the late 60s, visiting that loud saloon with the jugband, remember that...lol.

Here's yet another take on alcohol and longevity: http://time.com/5166514/moderate-dri...t=2018022221pm
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

[QUOTE=Islander;78593]Now I'm curious as to what the other causes might be. That still leaves 43% unaccounted for.

It appears from reviewing their chart that almost everything in life contributes to dementia, including sleep apnea, chronic kidney disease, cardio-vascular ailments, and on and on and on. Not sure how they defined "chronic alcohol abuse, or excessive drinking." But this was done in France. I always thought the French were outliers when it came to drinking.??

Seems to me that drinking alcohol is rather like sun exposure: both are fine if taken in moderation, but are easily overdone.

Thread Information