Thread: Farmed Salmon — one of the most toxic foods in the world

Default Farmed Salmon — one of the most toxic foods in the world

Dr. Joseph Mercola
    undated; reprinted by Healthy Holistic Living

Nicolas Daniel’s documentary “Fillet-Oh-Fish” takes a critical look at the fish industry, featuring exclusive footage from fish farms and factories across the globe. Many still have a rather romanticized view of fishing, but when it comes to large-scale food production, the picture is actually rather grim. Today’s fisheries are faced with a range of severe problems, from overfishing to chemical pollution and genetic mutation from toxic exposures. As noted by the producers of the film, “through intensive farming and global pollution, the flesh of the fish we eat has turned into a deadly chemical cocktail.”

Keep reading: http://www.healthy-holistic-living.c...ods-world.html
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Farmed Salmon — one of the most toxic foods in the world

Ninety nine percent of all the (Atlantic) salmon that shows up now, at Wally's refrigerated meat case, is farmed. However if one keeps their eyes open for that 1%, occasional hermetically sealed, refrigerated packages of Sockeye salmon, with a "never frozen" disclaimer, shows up. I buy it when I see it and freeze it if and when necessary. One can also find canned sockeye (red) salmon on the shelves as well, and I keep a few in the cupboard. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Deming-s-...z-Can/10299112
    Last edited by grulla; 03-11-18 at 09:26 AM.

I used to buy sockeye salmon whenever it was marked half-price at Hannaford's, but when corporate took over our affiliate market, half-pricing was gone. I've had cans on the shelf from before Fukushima but now I'm questioning whether even the finest Alaskan salmon are affected.

Veteran Member

Quite a few years ago my husband and I stopped eating any fish at all, due to pollution (including--maybe especially--mercury) concerns. Unnecessarily drastic? Maybe, but how can you really know?

Quote Originally Posted by Pattypans View Post
    Quite a few years ago my husband and I stopped eating any fish at all, due to pollution (including--maybe especially--mercury) concerns. Unnecessarily drastic? Maybe, but how can you really know?
    Hi "Pattypans", There are a few websites one can search that indicate seafood nutritional safety such as this seafood selector site: http://seafood.edf.org/

A big problem with fish farms is their potential to pollute and contaminate nearby "wild" fish. I love sockeye salmon. I purchase fresh and canned sockeye from VitalChoice.com. They have posted studies showing little to no contamination based on Fukushima, but they say they continue to monitor. Despite their testing, I seriously doubt if any type of wild fish is totally free from contamination. However, the alternative meats--poultry, beef, pork, etc. are contaminated, as well, regardless of how meticulously raised. The grasses and soil on organic farms are continuously contaminated by toxic pollutants. Grass fed animals are only as good as the grass they eat. How many stories have we heard about organic crops being contaminated by GMO crops growing nearby. Nothing in the food supply is free of toxins these days.

Mr. Wizard, I was prepared to contradict you because I raise most of my own meat, vegetables, fruit — basically everything I eat, except for fish and dairy products—all using organic methods. But then I remembered that even the rain that falls from the sky is contaminated with glyphosate. There really is no escape, is there?

Thread Information