Thread: low-cost magnesium is a welcome option for treating depression

Default low-cost magnesium is a welcome option for treating depression

Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
    June 27, 2017

Depression presents an enormous disease burden, with a reported 350 million people worldwide suffering from the disease, but traditional SSRI treatments carry a burden of their own -- in dollars and side effects. New clinical research published in PLoS Oneshows that over-the-counter magnesium appears safe and effective to treat mild to moderate depression.
    Critical to such body functions as heart rhythm, blood pressure and bone strength, the mineral magnesium plays a role in combating inflammation in the body and has been proven to have an association with depression. However, few clinical trials have studied the supplement's effects.

Keep reading: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0627152621.htm

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: low-cost magnesium is a welcome option for treating depression

Were all these people low in magnesium to start with? Did they do any tests? I take 600mg elemental magnesium a day, but if things go wrong I can still plunge into depression.

With Magnesium, as well as with other minerals, much depends upon which form is being used. I would not have chosen Magnesium Chloride as my chelate of choice if my intent were to improve Mg uptake by the body. What Julieanne said pertains, as well. There must be a balance, which the body requires to be delicately kept among the many minerals and other nutrients. These studies which examine the effects of one component in isolation really bug me. Just my pet peeve.

One reason I take so much Mg is that ATM I'm on a low fibre diet (long story). It prevents constipation. I am careful to balance it with the other necessary minerals. The label says 'amino acid chelate'.

I take 250 mg twice a day, for circulatory health and mood regulation (anti-stress). Is that a lot? It's from Life Extension and I have confidence in their products; this supplement is Mg oxide and Mg citrate. I've looked at the characteristics of the various forms of Mg and they only serve to confuse me, so I leave it up to Life Extension to make my decisions for me.

Has it helped with depression? Hard to say, since I started this regimen only recently. Quite possibly it has, though a series of sunny days helps.

Julie, those were all good questions. It's well known that results of studies often depend on the size of the research grant...

Magnesium is a very essential mineral, serving as a co-factor in more than 300 enzyme functions in the body. But, the type of magnesium matters. For ex., magnesium oxide is hard to absorb and considered almost useless. Magnesium citrate (a chelate) is great for constipation, but magnesium taurate works better for people with really sensitive bowels. Magnesium taurate (a form of amino acid, taurine) works well for people with heart irregularities or cardio issues. And so it goes. There's magnesium chloride (bad news), and magnesium lactate, orotate, sulfate, threonate, and so on. Choose wisely because the right type can make a world of difference. I prefer magnesium glycinate because it's multi-purpose. The right amount depends on the rest of your diet, and your individual needs. Supplementation is tricky, as I like to say.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:12 PM.

^^What Mr Wizard said.^^

250 mg twice a day is not a lot, especially in the less absorbable forms such as Mg Oxide and Mg Citrate. (There is a reason that Mg Oxide relieves constipation so well; it goes right through you.) Although I do use many of Life Extension's supplements, they and I part company with their idea of a Magnesium supplement. An amino acid chelate is a great idea, but chelated with which amino acid? Currently I am using mostly Mg Glycinate, with a bit of Mg Threonate before bedtime.

@Maurya: Mg Threonate is probably the most "bioavailable" form of Mg. It very easily crosses the blood brain barrier, making it the most effective form for neuro-degenerative conditions, like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Huntington's, and almost all other conditions involving the nerves, spinal cord and brain. I, like you, use mostly Mg Glycinate because it meets almost all the body's needs for magnesium. I mistakenly said I used "citrate," which I corrected above. I've never used Threonate, but happy to hear it works for you.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:18 PM.

Thread Information