Thread: Why Just Having Your Phone Near You Messes With Your Brain

Default Why Just Having Your Phone Near You Messes With Your Brain

Lydia Bellanger
    March 21 2018

Arianna Huffington and her team at wellness company Thrive Global might’ve been onto something when they put a mini “Phone Bed” up for sale designed to separate people from their devices while they sleep.
    A recent study by researchers from the University of Texas at Austin, the University of California, San Diego and Disney Research sought to determine how just having your smartphone near you, even if you aren’t looking at it or using it, can affect you cognitively.

The team conducted two lab experiments with 800 participants.

Read more: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/310770

Default Re: Why Just Having Your Phone Near You Messes With Your Brain

I have read a number of reasons for not bringing your phone into the bedroom while you sleep — reasons that had to do with electromagnetic radiation or Wi-Fi or something similar, above and beyond the distractability factor. I actually turn mine off before putting it on the charger at night.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

I put mine on airplane mode and silent mode and leave it in the living room when I go to bed. I do have a landline (also in the living room, but I wake up on the first ring) in case someone needs to call me for something important, i.e., an emergency. But I don't know how relevant that is to the article, because I do very little with my cellphone, and don't even connect to the internet with it.

A cell phone pretty much is necessary for me. We have no land line phones here since the hurricanes, and if the mess of phone wires and cables in my yard is any indication, my neighborhood never will be connected up again. As intermittent as our cell phone signals are, cell phone is the main means of communication with most of my family, as quite a few of them have no internet. The phone gets plugged in over night in the kitchen, which is at the other end of the house from my bedroom. I would not hear it if it rang at night, so I do not bother turning off the ringer.

As this study showed, many smartphone owners are terribly distracted by their phones...constantly checking for text messages that aren't there, constantly checking Facebook & Twitter to keep up with the latest news, etc. I'm especially worried about the younger generation's attachment to these phones. Fortunately, I'm told most schools do not allow phones in the classroom during instruction. However, kids can retrieve from lockers during lunch & recess. I've read several studies recommending to minimize the amount of time turned-on phones are held to your ear, or (for men) the time stored in pants pocket and/or breast pocket.

All very true. I think it can take on the characteristics of an addiction. I retired from teaching college in 2000, I think... before everyone was carrying a smartphone. But now I hear from former colleagues (and online sources) that kids often have them in their lap during lectures. Hey, I prohibited chewing and spitting tobacco in my classes, and I woudn't hesitate to do the same for phones today. Someone is paying for your education — what you have to pay is attention!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information