Thread: 30 Million Pounds of Brain-Damaging Pesticide Will Be Sprayed on Crops in Next 5 Year

Default 30 Million Pounds of Brain-Damaging Pesticide Will Be Sprayed on Crops in Next 5 Year

Alex Formuzis, Sr VP Communications and Strategic Campaigns and Sonya Lunder, Senior Analyst
    THURSDAY, MARCH 29, 2018

One year ago today, Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt sided with the pesticide lobby over EPA scientists in an eleventh-hour decision to abort the agency's proposal to ban chlorpyrifos from use on food crops. Chlorpyrifos is an insecticide that can harm children's brains and nervous systems at small doses.
    If Pruitt had stood by his own scientists, the chlorpyrifos ban could have taken practical effect next year, but now the EPA won’t reevaluate its safety until 2022. Based on data from the U.S. Geological Survey, the delay means roughly 30 million pounds of the weed-killer will be sprayed on cropland throughout the country in the next five years.

Keep reading: https://www.ewg.org/news-and-analysi...e#.WsdXgy-ZPcP

➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: 30 Million Pounds of Brain-Damaging Pesticide Will Be Sprayed on Crops in Next 5

Keep in mind that even if the map shows no chlorpyrifos being used in your state, the probability remains that you may be consuming produce (fruits, vegetables, nuts, flour) that has been treated elsewhere — in CA, for instance.

Default Re: 30 Million Pounds of Brain-Damaging Pesticide Will Be Sprayed on Crops in Next 5

This is why I start to panic when we have a long dry spell here (like now), because I soon will be forced to buy produce imported from places like California. Not only is the stuff wilted and almost rotten by the time it arrives here, but I know that it has been exposed to all sorts of chemical crap.

Wow, Maurya, that's tough. Can you get frozen foods? Maybe still from CA, but at east, frozen at their peak of freshness?

Frozen veggies are available, but not the organic sort that I prefer; in addition, because they are frozen, they are very expensive. Salad greens are my biggest heartburn when local lettuces are not available. These factors all must be weighed from one week to the next. Somehow I have managed not to starve, even during the scanty food season each year.

Thread Information