Thread: Three Recent Israeli-Led Breakthrough Discoveries In Autism Research

Default Three Recent Israeli-Led Breakthrough Discoveries In Autism Research

Simona Shemer
    April 2 2018

Roughly 1 in 160 children worldwide lives with autism, or autism spectrum disorder (ASD), a range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, behaviors, and communication, according to the World Health Organization. In the United States, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates the prevalence of autism as 1 in 68 children (according to a 2012 survey), similar to diagnoses found in Canada, Denmark, and Sweden.
    In Israel, 1 in 100 children are diagnosed with autism and over 500 infants are diagnosed annually, according to the Israeli Society of Children and Adults with Autism ALUT.

Read more: http://nocamels.com/2018/04/israel-a...ampaign=4/5/18

Default Re: Three Recent Israeli-Led Breakthrough Discoveries In Autism Research

This is encouraging. I look forward to the day when we go beyond diagnosis and treatment... to cause and prevention.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Three Recent Israeli-Led Breakthrough Discoveries In Autism Research

There is a small ray of hope right at the end:

'Reducing the risk of autism before the baby is born

A new study led by an Israeli professor published earlier this year found that women who take folic acid supplements and multivitamins before and during pregnancy have a reduced risk of having a child with autism.
    The study, led by Professor Stephen Levine of the University of Haifa in collaboration with researchers from the United States, Canada, and Sweden, and published in JAMA Psychiatry journal in 20January 2018, focused on 45,300 Israeli children born between January 1, 2003 and December 31, 2007, who came from the registry of Israel’s Meuhedet Health Service and were diagnosed with ASD. The researchers found that women who took the supplements during pregnancy were 73 percent less likely to bear a child with autism, while women who took the supplements consistently prior to pregnancy were 61 percent less at risk."

And of course one must remember that for many people Folic Acid is harmful to them, and Folate or Folinic Acid should be taken instead.

I noticed that too. Kept saying"folate" in my head every time I saw it!

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    And of course one must remember that for many people Folic Acid is harmful to them, and Folate or Folinic Acid should be taken instead.
    Casual access to folate, Vit B9, has been threatened by the FDA in the past few years as mentioned in this dated 2014 article from ANH: http://www.anh-usa.org/fdas-sneak-at...her-b-vitamin/

I tried to find out through current online search info if the FDA had succeeded, but apparently not, as I see some on-line mailorder vendors, like Mercola, that make it readily available. This website does a good job of making the distinction between folic acid and Vit B9 Folate: https://chriskresser.com/folate-vs-folic-acid/

Excellent article, Grulla. NTDs might be more familiar to some as a condition called spina bifida. One of my friends from high school suffered with this condition and was eventually confined to a wheelchair for life.
    I knew of the difference between folate and folic acid, but this was a surprise: "In the United States, Canada, and Chile, the institution of a folic acid supplementation program was associated with an increased prevalence of colon cancer. (7, 8) A randomized control trial found that that daily supplementation with 1 mg of folic acid was associated with an increased risk of prostate cancer. (9)"
    Thanks for finding this, Grulla!

Thread Information