Thread: UK To Ban All Plastic Straws, Cotton Swabs, And Single-Use Plastics

Default UK To Ban All Plastic Straws, Cotton Swabs, And Single-Use Plastics

Trevor Nace
    Apr 25, 2018

The UK is set to ban all sales of single-use plastics, including plastic straws and cotton swabs from the country as early as next year. Prime Minister Theresa May announced the new ban during a meeting with Commonwealth nations, noting that plastic waste is one of the greatest environmental challenges the country faces.
    The ban is a step toward the country's goals to eliminate avoidable plastic waste as part of the 25 Year Environmental Plan. This ban will help to clean up England's rivers, beaches, and oceans from harmful plastic, which is often ingested by marine life and later finds its way onto your dinner plate.
    The newly proposed ban follows the successful implementation of a plastic bag charge and a microbead ban, both of which produced noticeable decreases in plastic in England's waters. After the UK's tax on single-use plastic bags similar to those used in grocery stores, the use of single-use plastic bags dropped by 90 percent, equalling 9 billion fewer plastic bags being used.

Read more: https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorn.../#79a661781138
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: UK To Ban All Plastic Straws, Cotton Swabs, And Single-Use Plastics

UK is moving in the right direction. Plastic products are clogging the waterways and choking off marine life. If government is really serious about reducing the use of plastic bags & plastic cups, etc., ban companies from displaying their names on the bags and cups. It is my belief--because I haven't perused the data--that companies are pushing plastic bags & cups on consumers as a means of free advertisement. Almost every plastic bag I've received from shopping at a store has that store's name and other info. on it. Allow companies to place their names only on "paper" bags--which are better for the environment--and the plastic bags will quietly disappear.

Excellent idea Mr Wiz! Hopefully things are starting to move in the right direction - single use plastic bags will be banned from July in Australia. It's a start, but much more to be done.

Ireland banned plastic bags some time ago — or at least, charged for them, which had the same effect. And once again the U.S. will be the last to take action. I got curious so I looked it up: plastic grocery bags have been banned around the world, including more than 15 African countries (and we think of Africa as a collection of "developing" countries, eh? Think again.) https://study.com/blog/which-countri...stic-bags.html

Sadly, Maine doesn't really belong on that list. Sure, we have recycle boxes in the entryways, but where I live, 90% of shopping carts leave the store crammed with single-use plastic bags. Maybe a tiny percentage of them are used to line wastebaskets or to hold cat and dog nuggets.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information