Thread: Milk Thistle: Great for Liver Health & Detox

Default Milk Thistle: Great for Liver Health & Detox

Jon Barron, Baseline of Health Foundation
    Undated

For over 2,000 years, Europeans have used milk thistle for liver health by using it as a key component of a liver detox. In Western culture, its medicinal use dates back to the 1700s, and it is now used for a wide variety of ailments. The name "milk thistle" is derived from the shape and color of the plants leaves. Milk thistle herb is also called silymarin, which is actually the key bio-active in milk thistle and is an antioxidant flavonoid comprised of three isomers, the most active of which is called silibinin.

TWEET 100s of studies confirm milk thistle seeds ability to protect the liver from nearly all types of damage! @BaselineHealth

Literally hundreds of research studies...have confirmed the remarkable ability of milk thistle seed to protect the liver against virtually all types of damage including accidental exposure to chemical pollutants, toxic side effects of medications, liver disorders like hepatitis, and even self-inflicted damage from the overindulgence of rich food and alcohol.

Keep reading: https://jonbarron.org/herbal-library..._hsmi=62387225
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Milk Thistle: Great for Liver Health & Detox

Milk thistle is a wonderful herb, but should be taken with caution. Because it directly impacts the liver, milk thistle may enhance the effect of any medication you're taking. Thistle also lowers blood sugar....substantially, like 25% lower, based on some of info. I read. So proceed cautiously if you're taking medication to lower blood sugar. It's also great for rashes and dry skin. Just mix with water and apply thinly to skin.

This is good to know. You may remember that I struggle with insomnia and sometimes rely on wine to help me sleep. That's when I take milk thistle to offset any potential damage. Also, because I take no other meds (except thyroid), something to help lower blood sugar is always welcome news.

You'd have to drink a dozen bottles of wine every night to damage your liver. Most wine is less than 20% alcohol..not nearly enough to damage your liver...unless, as I said, you drink a case every night. Lol. We all should probably take a little milk thistle now and again simply to help combat all the toxins and pollutants we breathe and ingest in our food. The great thing about the liver is it can regenerate itself with a little help.

Aaaah, that's reassuring! I've been experimenting with cannabis for insomnia and finally hit on the right combination of strain, dose and timing. So once again I can enjoy a glass of wine for its own sake, a pleasant end to a busy day!

Thread Information